Skip to main content

Chicken, Artichoke, and Mushroom Casserole


Since we've been home from Hawaii, I've had the urge to cook some of my favorite recipes...plus some.  It always feels good to return from a trip and be able eat the comforts of home again.  The first day home I made my Pumpkin Bean Chili which lasted for a couple days.  It tasted so good especially being back in cold weather.  I make this recipe probably twice a month in the winter since it's a favorite.  Then I made a batch of Clean Cream of Mushroom Soup, another favorite.  That was consumed immediately.  These two recipes were a real switch from all our Hawaiian vacation food, although we are still eating fresh pineapple daily.  I had received a whole new batch of recipes from Hannah Freese, RD for the month of February so I decided to make this new recipe from her and we loved it.  It definitely turns boring chicken breasts into an exciting concoction of flavors. I have so many frozen chicken breasts in the freezer from grocery stores sales and "BOGO" promotions but they don't seem to get eaten very quickly.  I used the Trader's Joes frozen artichoke hearts, cauliflower rice and fresh sliced mushrooms so this dish is very simple.  And we all like simple, right?  After all our Valentine's celebrations, I feel like I want simple and healthy right now.  I had my "chocolate fix" this Valentine's Day when the grandkids came over and we made my favorite chocolate cake but we made them into individual heart cakes so they could decorate each one.


and then serve them to our guests which was almost as much fun.


We had extra batter so we made the rest into cupcakes...more decorating.


    

We celebrated Valentine's Day on Super Bowl Sunday which made for a fun day of ongoing festivities.  


Of course, we had our usual betting board which was a little smaller this year since it wasn't the big money-making board we usually have for our big Super Bowl parties of the past (before covid).  It was still fun, especially since the 6-year-old won.  Beginner's luck.  


Then on actual Valentine's Day, my sister invited us over to her house for a lovely surf and turf dinner which was a real treat.  And, of course, we always have lots of catching up to do after our Hawaii trip and with the holidays now behind us.  Our dinner started off with crab cocktail from our local Guemes Island and homemade cocktail sauce.  So good!   


My brother-in-law barbecued beef tenderloin steaks which were accompanied with a lovely green salad and a side dish of broccoli au gratin.  A most perfect meal. 



I brought over additional chocolate heart cakes, cupcakes and my Valentine's Cookies that I made again this year.  There is never any shortage of desserts around here on Valentine's Day.


Now that we are done celebrating all our loved ones, we can get back to our healthy eating lifestyle once again.  This Chicken, Artichoke and Mushroom Casserole is an excellent recipe to start with using those chicken breasts you have in your freezer and wondering what to do with them.  Or just keep celebrating your loved ones and fix them this recipe.  They'll love you for it even if it isn't Valentine's Day.  💖

Serves 4

3 cups cauliflower rice
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
1-1/2 cups artichoke hearts
1 tsp. grd. sage
1 tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup whole milk
1-1/2 pound chicken breasts
3 oz. medium cheddar cheese, shreddred

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. 

2.  Add the cauliflower rice, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sage, sea salt, and milk to a casserole dish.  Mix well to combine.  


3.  Add the chicken breasts on top of the mixture, then sprinkle cheese over everything.  



4.  Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, covered.  Uncover the dish and cook for another 15 minutes or until cooked through.



5.  I sliced the chicken breast before serving.  Divide everything evenly between plates and enjoy.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had