Skip to main content

Clean Cream of Mushroom Soup



Yesterday, we had our first 60 degree day of the year and it was like Spring.  Today, it's back to our normal, overcast, rainy weather and I'm eating soup.  I made a big batch of my newest favorite soup that is from Hannah Freese, RD, a healthy Cream of Mushroom soup.  The reason she calls it "clean" is because it does not contain any toxic oils or sugar.  (Toxic oils are soybean oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, and safflower oil that all contribute to chronic inflammation.)  I've made this recipe several times and it's my newest favorite soup.  Since we've been pet-sitting a friend's dog this week, I decided to make this soup and give her some when she picked up the dog today so she'd have something to eat after being gone for a week.  She texted me later and said the soup was the best mushroom soup she'd ever had!  I agree so now I know it's not just me...I threw in some of my Japanese Milk Bread to go along with it to make a nice lunch for her.  I'm getting really good at making this bread. 


Now, I can say it goes very well with this Cream of Mushroom soup.  (Did I really not know that?)  I remember when I use to make our homemade Apple Butter, I would often include a loaf of Great Harvest Old Fashioned white bread with it.  Sometimes, certain things just taste better with a good loaf of bread but now my favorite bread is this Japanese Milk Bread.  The trick to keeping this soup "clean" is using a broth that does not have sugar in it.  Even some organic broths have sugar of some form but I've found that Kirkland Brand Organic Chicken Stock is "clean".  This recipe calls for 4 cups of broth so that's one quart of Kirkland chicken stock.  I make my own  chicken stock and freeze it in 1 or 2 cup jars but when a recipe calls for 4 cups, then I use my Kirkland chicken stock.  Costco sells many different types of broth so you need to read the ingredient list on the labels.  It's the Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock that is the "clean" one.  


This recipe says that it makes 4 servings but Bruce and I ate almost the whole recipe.  So, if it's a side dish, then it might be 4 servings but if it's the main dish, probably more like 2 or 3 servings.  It tastes so good that it's hard to stop eating it!  Serving sizes can be deceiving so just keep that in mind making this Clean Cream of Mushroom Soup.  

Serves 4

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup leeks, cleaned and sliced in half moons
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. white button mushrooms, quartered or sliced
3 Tbsp. coco aminos (you can also use soy sauce or tamari)  I buy this at Costco. too. 


4 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp black pepper

1.  In a large saucepan, place the butter, leeks, and garlic and sauté over medium heat. 


2. When the leeks have softened, add the quartered mushrooms.


3.  Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.   Add the coco aminos, soy sauce or tamari and chicken stock.  Simmer for 15- 20 minutes. 


 4.  Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cream and pepper.  Blend together using an immersion blender until all ingredients are pureed.  You can also use a blender which works well blending the soup in batches.  

5.  Blend less for more of a chunky soup. Set aside some of the sautéed mushrooms and serve a spoonful with the soup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had