Skip to main content

Valentine Cookies


You didn't think I would only post a salad recipe for Valentine's Day, did you?  Now that we've got our veggies in for the day, it's time for dessert...cookies!  I make these every year and then off they go.   Wouldn't you love to receive a box of these in the mail on Valentine's Day?


I enjoy giving more than receiving and I enjoy creating more than consuming, although Bruce does not let me give away 100% before he can consume some, too.  There's always enough to go around for everyone. Creating edible goodies for any occasion is my favorite way of getting in the spirit of things.  These Valentine cookies are the same recipe I use for the Halloween cookies, Spritz cookies and the Super Bowl cookies  That's because this recipe is the best sugar cookie recipe around so why change a good thing?  The butter cream frosting goes especially well with the cookies, although the cookies taste really good plain, too. The frosting recipe follows the cookie recipe.  I use cookie cutters that have little stamped messages in them that I got probably 25 years ago at a Hallmark store, believe it or not.  (Hallmark use to have the best little gifts...)  I like these type of cookie cutters because you don't have to be an artist and try to write messages with frosting.  I found some similar cookie cutters on Amazon  here.  You can just use heart shaped cookie cutters, too, and frost them with the frosting recipe and decorate with sprinkles.  Anyway you choose to do these, they will be the best tasting sugar cookies you make and your sweeties will love you for it! 

Makes about 6 dozen

For Cookies

5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 sticks unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

1. Have all ingredients at room temperature.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together is a large bowl.


3. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.


4. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.


5. Beat in vanilla.

6. Add the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, on low speed.


7. Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten the balls into disks.


8. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. Let the dough soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

9. Position the oven rack in the upper third of an oven. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.

10. Dip the cookie cutter in flour.  My cookie cutters have little Valentine messages on them and show up really well with a little colored sugar sprinkled on them. Using a large metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the prepared pans. Gather up and re-roll the scraps and cut out more cookies. Repeat with the remaining dough disks.

11. Bake the cookies until they are golden on the edges, 9-11 minutes, depending on how thick you roll them out.  Transfer the pans to wire racks and let the cookies cool completely on the pans.


Butter cream Frosting

8 Tbsp. unsalted butter or 1 cube
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp. milk, plus more, if needed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
food coloring

1. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until light and creamy, 2 - 3 minutes.


2. Reduce the speed to low, and add the confectioners' sugar, the milk, the vanilla and salt, and beat until smooth and combined, about 2 minutes.


3. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

4. If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks. Tint with food coloring as desired.

After I've baked all the cookies, I like to go through all my cookies and remove the ones that are not completely prefect and use those to frost.


Sometimes I get a little carried away when sprinkling the colored sugar on them and you can't read the message very well...those go to the frosting pile.


Or the dough got a dent or knick in it...frosting pile.


Using the recipe above, frost your cookies to cover up any flaws.


Of course, you can frost all of them if you have just plain heart shaped cookie cutters because they look super cute decorated with frosting. You can find all kinds of festive Valentine cookie decorations at places like Michael's Arts and Craft store, your local grocery store or Amazon. 


Happy Valentine's Day













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had