Skip to main content

Pumpkin Bean Chili



Tonight, we had Pumpkin Bean Chili for dinner which I thought was appropriate for fall and also because Bruce needed some homemade comfort food.  He just returned from the Midwest where his dad has been infected with the coronavirus from the retirement facility where he lives.  They thought it was pneumonia so he was taken to the hospital and then tested positive.  He is 94 years old so needless to say he is not doing well.  He is the first person that we know that has been infected with the virus and it's been a very stressful time.  Bruce and I are now living separate so he can quarantine.  He is living in our finished basement and I'm upstairs on the main floor.  He was in contact with his brother who was with his dad before they knew he was positive for covid so Bruce has potentially been exposed.  They were wearing masks there, not necessarily keeping a six foot distance, they did eat at restaurants outside, and basically did everything we've been doing.  Bruce also had his own hotel room and rental car.  However, Bruce has four siblings, plus two sister in-laws, all who were hanging out together and who knows who else could have been exposed by the first brother.  It's hard to pinpoint exactly who and how anyone could have been exposed so we have to take precautions and Bruce went to get tested today.  It's too early for a covid test to show up positive since it's only been three days since his initial potential exposure.  We didn't know the whole timing of covid when we made the appointment online for his covid test but they told  him it was good that he came but to return in a week when it's been seven days after exposure.   Here's a good article about when to get tested. here  Luckily for us, we have free testing everywhere around here and Bruce only had to drive a couple miles in our neighborhood to get tested. An EMT administered his test and explained to Bruce about how testing works.  He gave Bruce a handout explaining how to check online for his results in 24 hours.  The other fortunate thing for us is that since Bruce retired in June, we're on Medicare now and Medicare covers unlimited covid testing.  So, we can go get tested as much as we want.  We also plan to get tested a week before Thanksgiving and Christmas, then quarantine so our family can all get together for the holidays and know that we are all clear of covid.  Anyway, I'm learning so much about covid right now.   I'm exhausted trying to think of everything to do to live separate, however.  I set up our basement really nice for Bruce during the three days he was gone just like when we lived down there during our remodel so it is very comfortable.  There are two doors going outside so he can come and go whenever.  The bedroom and bathroom are very nice down there, too.  I'll need to fix his lunch and dinners but he does have a refrigerator down there so he can eat his breakfasts of cereal and milk, he can have toast (I put the toaster and coffee pot down there) so he's all set up.  I also put a tray on the landing on the stairs so he can put stuff there for me to take upstairs and I can leave his lunch and dinner there for him to take.   


Bruce is wearing one of his dad's sweaters that he brought back with him which is comforting to him.  We knew Iowa was a hotspot for covid before he left so we were planning that he would quarantine when he got back anyway so we were prepared but it's still stressful.  The good thing is that he was able to see his dad in the hospital and talk to him.  They were allowing two visitors at a time to visit along with wearing isolation gear so I'm glad Bruce was able to do that.  Anyway, now here we are trying to figure out all the logistics of living together while following all the covid precautions.  If you are in need of a nice fall-ish comfort food like we are, you will like this recipe.  This is once again a recipe I got from Hannah Freese, RD since I started doing her broken metabolism diet.  I did loose two pounds the first week so it seems to be working so far and I do like all the recipes and will continue to share.

Serves 4

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup water
1 tsp. sea salt
2 cups pinto beans
coleslaw mix
1 avocado, peeled and cubed
2 stalks green onion, chopped

1.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic, and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and the onions are transparent.


2.  Add the chili powder, cumin and paprika.  Stir about 1 minute, until fragrant. 

3.  Add crushed tomatoes, pinto beans, pumpkin, water and salt.  Let simmer about 10 minutes. 


4.  Divide coleslaw into bowls.  Top with chili.  Garnish with cubed avocados and green onions.

Notes:  Make it vegetarian or vegan by omitting the meat.  Add an extra can of rinsed beans if desired.
Optional toppings - Garnish with cilantro, chopped green onions or jalapeño slices.
More Veggies - Add bell peppers, corn, peas or any leftovers on hand.  Stir in spinach, kale or watercress just before serving.
Leftovers - Refrigerate in an air-tight container for 3-5 days or freeze up to 2 months. 
 


Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about Bruce’s dad. I’ve talked to Peter about it as well. Sounds like Bruce’s exposure is fairly limited, so fingers crossed he’s negative.

    I did a multi-part write up on my blog on how we prepped our house for quarantine and you have a very similar set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think his exposure was limited but we were planning to do this upon his return anyway so we're prepared. My hands are getting noticeably parched from all my hand washing when I have to touch his used dishes, tho, and this is only day two. I think I'm going to start wearing gloves, which I thankfully have a couple of boxes of. How many times have we said this? "Our new normal". UGH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had