Skip to main content

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman


Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of meatloaf.  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the Pioneer Woman's version who was also recently on.  I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book, Food Matters.  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.   If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on government policy, big business marketing, and global economics.  You've heard the term Big Government, right?  Mark Bittman refers to Big Food - the industrialization of the meat and junk-food industries and often quotes Michael Pollan in his book.  His eating plan is simple, flexible, based on science and includes delicious recipes with lots of choices of your favorite foods.   He's not extreme in his advise, which I like, just sensible and simple, two things I strive to do with my clients.  So indulge a bit and make the ultimate comfort food - meatloaf.

Meat loaf

Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything: The Basics

Serves 6 to 8

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs, preferably fresh
1/2 cup milk
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 pinch dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices bacon, optional


1. Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan with the olive oil.


2. Soak the bread crumbs in the milk in a large bowl until the milk is absorbed, about 5 minutes.


3. Add the meat, egg, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, onion, sage and some salt and pepper and gently fold everything into the meat with your hands or a rubber spatula. Mix just enough to distribute the flavorings without overworking the meat or it will become tough.


4. Turn the meat mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, gently shaping it into an oval mound. Drape the bacon over the top if you're using it.


5. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, brushing occasionally with the rendered pan juices. When done, the meat loaf will be lightly browned and firm. To check, insert a quick-read thermometer into the center; it should read 160 F. Let the loaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife.


For Meatballs


Shape the mixture into balls of any size and put them on the prepared baking sheet or roasting pan. It's okay if they touch a little; they'll shrink as they cook. Figure that 2-inch meatballs will take 25 to 35 minutes to cook and add another 10 to 15 minutes for every additional inch in size.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had