One last zucchini recipe before summer ends and then I promise I will done with zucchini. I got this recipe from my neighbor, Karen, who likes to entertain with parties at her house. I've written about her parties before here, here and here just to list a few. This month she had a Hawaiian-themed barbecue for seven of us neighbors with a wonderful dinner of barbecued ribs, chicken, pork, potatoes, Caesar salad, macaroni salad along with shrimp skewer appetizers and dessert of pineapple upside-down cake. Our cocktails for the party were Lava Flows, one of my favorite Hawaiian drinks. They are like a pina colada only with strawberry swirled throughout. Yum!
We had a beautiful day for the party and it was a great success. I even brought my ukulele and played some Hawaiian music for some background music which quickly put everyone in the mood. They all loved that unexpected bit of entertainment. I know summer is almost over but I will miss all the fun times we've had this year. However, I think I've had my fill of our greatly succussful crop of zucchini from the garden.
Serves 4
2 large zucchini
1 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. olive oil (divided)
2 cloves garlic, fnely chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
fresh basil leaves for garnish
chili pepper flakes for garnish
Prep the Zucchini:
1. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise to create 4 "steaks".
2. Score the flesh side of each steak 1/4" deep diagonally at 1/2" intervals, then rotate 90 degrees and score diagonally again to create a crosshatch pattern.
3. Season the score sides with 1 tsp. of salt and let sit for about 15 minutes to release moisture.
Preheat and Prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. and place rack in the center.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the garlic, red pepper flakes, and 2 Tbsp. olive oil, stirring until garlic is fragrant about 5 minutes. Transfer the garlic oil to a small bowl.
Sear the Zucchini:
1. In the same skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
2. Pat the zucchini with a paper towel until dry and place 2 halves flesh side down in the skillet, cooking until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet flesh side up. Repeat with the remaining zucchini and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
Bake and Top:
1. Brush the zucchini steaks with the garlic oil.
2.. Bake until tender, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzerella and Parmesan over the top.
Broil:
1. Set the broiler to high.
2. Broil the zucchini until the cheese is melted and browned, watching closely, about 2 to 3 minutes. Or you can grill the zucchini with the lid down on your barbecue until cheese is melted.
Transfer the zucchini to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh basil.
Comments
Post a Comment