Skip to main content

Gingerbread Cookies


Merry Christmas!  We are in full Christmas-mode around here now.  Last night, I made gingerbread men and I think I finally found a recipe that I really like.  I've mentioned before that I like my cookies soft moreso than crunchy and this recipe makes a very soft and chewing, not-too-strong gingerbread and I love them.  Don't they look cute?  The grandkids will love them.  I left some  plain in case the kids are in a decorating mood next time they come over.  Either way, even the plain ones are delicious.  I also made ahead some of my infamous sugar cookie dough in case the kids want to make cut-out Christmas cookies, too.  My kitchen is always prepared for any type of cooking/baking activity, you can be sure of that, especially this time of year.  Last night, Bruce made his fifth batch of almond roca while I fiddled around with my new gingerbread recipe.  


I've already made (more than one batch of) my usual Christmas cookies...Spritz cookies




and the notorious Russian Tea cakes that I always eat way too many of...so addicting. 

                     

I'm hoping that I've been physically active enough this season to keep working off all these cookies.  I like walking around Green Lake whenever I can and did recently during their Pathway of Lights that is an annual event. They place luminaries all around the 2.8 mile pathway including the docks.  It's so beautiful. 



It was fun hanging out around there at night when it was dark, usually a place to avoid for safety reasons.  I felt like I was doing something forbidden, being there at night but for this event it was very festive with lots of entertainment at three different locations, vendors, and booths. It was a very fun evening.  For fun with the grandkids, we took them to the Seattle Center to see the old time train and village because they are both into trains this year.  


We put an electric train underneath the Christmas tree this year and they think that is pretty cool. 
 

They've been playing with this electric train at our house for awhile so they are thrilled to see it under the tree now.  Of course, the one at the Seattle Center is a HUGE display. Then we took them to see the Christmas ships which is another tradition around here where they come to a local beach and carolers on board sing Christmas carols.  It was too much for the 4-year-old who fell asleep from all the lovely music and fresh air.  


He also fell asleep when we went to the Pacific Northwest Ballet Nutcracker last weekend.  Now, that is very soothing and beautiful music.  It was all just too much for him.  LOL


We all had a wonderful time enjoying the beautiful venue and experience. Our granddaughter takes ballet lessons so she was on the edge of her seat the whole time.  It was so fun watching her reactions.  





                        

This is definitely the ultimate holiday activity to do to get into the spirit.  Nothing like seeing the Nutcracker ballet through the eyes of a child. 💗  If you can't go to the Nutcracker, then make some gingerbread cookies.  These will also get you into the holiday spirit in no time.  Especially when you taste one for the first time.  These cookies will burst in your mouth screaming Christmas. Trust me. 


I got this recipe from the Seattle Times, adapted from Mary Ellen Blatchford/Good Housekeeping. Here's what they said about the cookies.  "My stepmom has made these cookies every Christmas for nearly 40 years, since she clipped the recipe out of an early 1980's Good Housekeeping magazine.  These cookies have the perfect warm spiced gingerbread flavor and they're not too sweet."  Mary Ellen's  advice:  Don't roll out the dough too thin, because a thicker cookie will be softer and chewier.  And don't overtake them - they'll continue baking when they cool on the baking sheet. 

Makes 3 dozen small gingerbread men

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light molasses
1 egg

I used this molasses which I use for most molasses recipes.  I believe "blackstrap" molasses is dark molasses and this not blackstrap so it must be "light" molasses.  Anyway, the cookies tasted great using this molasses. 



1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside. 


2.  Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar together at medium speed until combined, for about 1 minute. 


3.  Add molasses and egg and beat at medium speed until mixture is smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. 


4.  Add flour and spice mixture at low speed until all ingredients are incorporated into a uniform dough. 


5.  Shape dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap.


6.  Refrigerate one hour (or freeze for 30 minutes) until dough is firm and chilled.

7.  Preheat oven to 350 degree F.  

8.  On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll dough 1/4-inch  thick.  Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.  I use a small-sized ginger man cookie cutter that will make about 3 dozen gingerbread men.  Also, don't over-do the flour because you want the baked cookies to look clean without flour residue left on them.  Most of the flour will dissipate with baking and come out clean unless you leave big globs of flour on them.  


7.  Place cutouts about 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.


8.  Bake for 8 minutes or until edges have lightly browned.


9.  When cooled, decorate with Royal Icing.  I make a half batch of royal icing since these don't take a lot of icing to decorate.  You can use various recipes with meringue powder but I keep it simple and use plain egg whites, very easy.  

Royal Icing

2 egg whites
2 cups sifted powdered sugar

1.  Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat using the whisk attachment until frothy.   

2.  Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and mix well.  Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating on low speed and scraping down the sides.

3.  Increase the speed to high and continue to beat the mixture until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.  at this stage, the icing will be very thick.  Add water, a few drops at a time, to thin if needed.  

Decorate cookies, as desired.  Here are some other examples of decorating gingerbread cookies using other cut-outs from previous years that I've used.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had