Skip to main content

Super Seed Chocolate Bark



I have a new recipe to get my chocolate-fix which I can add along with my macadamia nut clusters recipe.  This new recipe uses seeds that are high in nutrition and high in anti-inflammatory properties which is why this recipe is called "super".  Or you can use chopped nuts of your choice, too.  I use macadamia nuts since I always have them on hand but I chop them up in my food processor to make smaller bits.  


I also process pumpkin seeds to make them smaller, too.  


There are lots of variations of this recipe depending on what you like.  I got this recipe from Hannah Freese, RD and will post the recipe as she has it but I will add notes the way I've been making it so you can see some options.  I am still using my favorite dark chocolate from Trader Joe's - Pound Plus. 

I wrote how to find the best dark chocolate here.   You want to avoid the dark chocolate that is high in cadmium that is a toxic heavy metal like arsenic and lead.  Hannah Freese, RD talks a lot about how we can find the best dark chocolate and I still do eat my dark chocolate everyday.   My sister brought this chocolate bark for our dessert when the two of us spent a few days up in the San Juan Islands a couple of weeks ago.  



We did lots of beach walking and taking in the peace and quiet there on Guemes Island where we stayed at her son's beach house that he recently purchased for his family.  Here is what their beach looks like so you can see how nice it is to beach walk right outside the back door.  

It only takes 2 hours to drive there from our house so it's fairly close.  There is a little county-run ferry that carries about 20 cars at a time over to the island from the city of Anacordes.  Guemes Island is one of the smaller island in the San Juans where there are over 100 islands.  Some are uninhabited and you can only get there by private boat.  



The larger islands use the Washington State ferry system to take people to and from the islands.  You can see those big ferries coming and going while beach walking. 



We each brought one dinner to share while we were up there so I brought my marinated Cuban Mojo Chicken which is one of my favorite recipes from Hannah Freese, RD. My sister also follows Hannah's eating plan so we had no problems enjoying each other's food.

When I make this recipe, I use the chopped up macadamia nuts, chopped up pumpkin seeds and hemp seed hearts which are technically nuts but they are called hemp seeds.  You can get them at Costco and they look like this:


These are really a super food.  They are related to the cannabis plant but do not have any THC in them (the psychoactive compound found in marijuana).  They contain all 9 of the essential amino acids and high levels of the healthy fats omega-3 and omega-6.  They also have many vitamins and minerals and anti-inflammatory properties which is why I like to eat these as much as possible.  I have a container of these in my fridge to keep on hand.  If you are a chocoholic like me, you might as well turn your chocolate snack into a super food.  Makes sense to me so that is why I am making this recipe on a regular basis now.  Enjoy!

Serves 8 with one serving equal to 1/2 cup

5-1/2 oz. dark chocolate
4 tsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds ( I process in a food processor to make smaller pieces)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I instead use macadamia nuts and  process in the food processor to make smaller pieces)
1/4 cup hemp seed hearts 

You can also use chopped nuts of your choice.  Add sea salt or vanilla extract, as desired.

1.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.  Fill a medium pot with an inch of water and place a smaller pot or heat-safe bowl on top ensuring the water is not touching the bottom of the smaller pot or bowl.  The smaller pot or bowl should rest tightly on top of the pot and any water or steam should not b able to escape.  Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to low.  (This is basically a double boiler)

3.  Add the chocolate and coconut oil in the double boiler.  



4.  Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted completely.  (You can also melt in the microwave.)


5.  Remove the bowl from the double boiler and stir in the seeds.  Mix well until the seeds are completely covered in the chocolate. 


6. Transfer the chocolate and seeds to the prepared parchment paper and spread into an even layer. 


7.  Place the bark in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until solid

8.  When solid, break into pieces and store in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge until ready to eat.  Store for up to two weeks in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer but you will probably eat it up before then!  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had