Skip to main content

Cuban Mojo Chicken Thighs


I finally have a new recipe that isn't a salad.  Imagine that.  We've had this recipe twice in one week because it's so good (from Hannah Freese, RD).   Last night, we barbecued the chicken and earlier in the week, we baked it.  Both were superb.  Here's what the baked version looks like:



You get lots of juice with the baked version so if you have rice, mashed potatoes or some other side dish that you want to drizzle the juice on, then this version is perfect.  The marinade has lots of citrus in it so this makes for a very addictive sauce and the want for more, more, more...thus I made it twice this week. As it was marinating yesterday, my neighbor, Ginny, texted me to see if I wanted to go walking later on so I texted back and said yes but asked if she wanted to come over and try my new recipe for dinner.  So, she came over and the three of us had a really nice dinner of Cuban Mojo Chicken Thighs out on the deck on a beautiful summer evening and she LOVED the recipe, too.  We were having such a good time relaxing out on the deck we almost forgot about our walk but when Bruce offered to clean up the dishes so we both said, "We better go for our walk!".    So, off we went.  We went to a favorite part of the neighborhood with picturesque views. 


We like to look at all the houses that have been remodeled and see what people do to all the old house around here. 


Our neighborhood is basically our own HGTV channel in real life.  LOL   These old Wonder Bread signs went up recently and the owner was in the yard to we asked her about the signs.  


She said they were remodeling recently and found them in the walls of the attic.  The house was built in 1928 and a previous owner of the house worked for Wonder Bread, thus he probably forgot that he had stashed these away.  Since the weather has been so perfect around here (no rain) they put them up to share with the neighborhood.  Ginny had seen them earlier so she took me by these to show me.  They are so classic.  We love them.  I am working to build up my walking endurance since my knee replacement on May 11th and so far everything has been going along as planned and I am going further and further each week.  It's been perfect timing to get a new knee and being able to enjoy summer by being out and about again.  It truly feels like summer now.  Yummy recipes like this one and having friends over to share them with just add to the joys of summer.  Add this recipe to your collection for summer barbecues and you'll be guaranteed a joyful summer evening, too. 



Servers 4

1 naval orange, zested and juiced
1 lime, juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1-1/2 pounds chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in
additional optional seasonings:  red pepper flakes, jalapeño, oregano, mint or black pepper

1.  To a zip-locked bag, add the zest and juice of the orange, juice of the lime, garlic, oil, cilantro, cumin, and salt.  Mix well. Add the chicken thighs to the bag and marinate for at least 30 minutes.


2.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3.  Transfer the chicken thighs and the marinade to a baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is browned.

4.  Divide the chicken between plates and spoon the cooking liquid over top, if desired.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had