Skip to main content

An Easter Feast


We had our first (extended) family gathering this Easter for the first time since February 2020 at my nephews house. Our last gathering was right before the pandemic when another nephew got married and we had a big family dinner at our house to celebrate that I wrote about here.  It's weird to think it's been over two years now.  Of course, we get together with Lauren, Nick and family almost every weekend for a family dinner so I am lucky to be able to see them often.  But a big group like this one is a very special occasion.  We were mostly excited for the grandkids to be able to play with my nephew's son who is close to their same age


and they also have a much bigger yard than we do for an Easter egg hunt. So, it was perfect. 


Because of the pandemic, all our holidays have been with my immediate family only, with Nick and Lauren but it's so nice to see the grandkids be able to play with other kids for a change and we've been yearning to have this experience for a long time.  My nephew also has two daughters who were wonderful hosts to the grandkids. 



Not to mention that when the kids are playing with each other, we get to rest...


And we needed to rest after all the cooking for our feast.  Before we headed over for Easter, the grandkids slept over at our house on Saturday so we had lots of time to decorate eggs and make lots of special Easter treats to take for dinner. 

On Friday, I made my Easter Bread and cheesy potatoes.  When the grandkids arrived, they helped me make my Chocolate Birds Nests with my favorite Peeps which, by the way, were especially fresh and tasty this year; not the usual old, stale, year-old Peeps we usually get stuck with at Easter (was it because of the "supply chain" issue?)


Their favorite dessert are my Apple Hand Pies but this time we made them round like Easter eggs and they painted icing on them with lots of different colors.  My, oh my!  Did those apple pies taste good with icing on them for a change.  We just might have to add that step every time from now on.


Anyway, our Easter dinner turned out to be a real feast this year.


My nephew cooked a ham plus we had carrots, a savory onion galette, my cheesy potatoes, baked beans, 


spanakopita, asparagus salad, my Easter bread, fruit salad...like I said - a feast and we all enjoyed it immensely.



The food is always good in my family but I'm not sure what we enjoyed more, the food or the gathering.  After two years of not being able to get together, this was a major turning point for us and this Easter feast was really a celebration of connecting once again as a family. Happy Easter!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had