Skip to main content

Easter Bread


An Easter tradition in our family has been this Italian Easter bread that I use to make every year when Nick and Lauren were growing up.  They both loved it and the fact that there was an egg in the middle, I think was a thrill to them.  I don't think I've made it since they both went off to college but now that we are back in Seattle, Lauren asked if I was going to make the Easter bread.  I happily obliged.  I got the recipe from the Seattle Times in the early 90's.


The column was called "Ruthie's Recipes" by Ruth De Ross.  She had gotten it from a reader who sent it in, named Bellotti Angiono.  (Italian, of course)  She explained that this Italian Easter bread has been a tradition for generations in Italy and has many variations.  Some have fruits in it, or nuts, anise seed or wine.  It's an Easter version of the Italian Christmas bread called Panettone.  She said that in Italy, the children hunt Easter bread, much like children here hunt for eggs.  An Easter bread is made for each child and hidden around the house.  Easter morning, the children have an Easter bread hunt.  I've seen this recipe a lot over the years, now with the internet, etc.  Some versions are made as small loaves for individual servings just as the Italian version described above.  I've made this one so many times that for our family, it is the perfect version.  Just the right amount of lemon-y flavor and just the right amount of sweetness.  I'm glad to be able to bring this Easter bread back as our Easter tradition once again.

Makes 1 large round loaf

1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup soft butter
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
4-1/2 cups flour
1 hard-cooked Easter egg
1 egg white
2 Tbsp. sugar

1.  Stir yeast into warm water (110-115 degrees).


2.  Scald milk and cool.


3.  In a large mixer bowl, cream butter until fluffy.  Add sugar, lemon peel, vanilla, and salt.   Beat until  mixture is fluffy.


4.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Mix in milk and yeast.  Batter will be running and chunky. Slowly beat in flour until you can add no more with the mixer.  


5.  Add the rest of the flour by hand until you have a soft dough.  Turn dough onto a well floured surface.


6.  Knead vigorously until smooth and elastic about 10 minutes.


7.  Put dough in a large buttered bowl, turning over to grease all sides.


8.  Set bowl in oven covered with a clean cloth and place a pan of hot water on the rack beneath it.  Close oven door and let rise about 1-1/2 hours or until double in size.


9.  Punch down. (my favorite part)


10.  Shape dough into a smooth ball on a cookie sheet.


11.  Put back in the oven with the pan of hot water and let rise again about 25 minutes or until double.


12.  Carefully make a depression in the center of the dough and place the Easter egg in the center.  If desired, a bit of dough can be used to make two crosswise strips across the top of the egg. (I take a sharp knife and cut a couple of slivers of dough off around the bottom of the loaf)


13.  Beat egg white and 2 Tbsp. of sugar until just frothy.


14.  Brush over the bread dough.


15.  Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 50 minutes.  After 30 minutes, place a foil tent loosely over the top of the bread so it doesn't become too brown and bake the rest of the 20 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.


My notes on my recipe state that if you want to make two smaller loaves, bake for only 25 minutes.  After 15 minutes, cover with foil so it doesn't get too dark and finish baking the rest of the 10 minutes.  

Happy Easter and enjoy your Easter bread!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had