Skip to main content

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls



Since we've been home from Hawaii, it's been a sloooooooooooow process getting back into my regular eating routine by following Hannah Freese, RD's eating plan.  I was very proud of myself in Hawaii by sticking to the plan most the time.  I felt the best I've felt on a vacation in a long time, full of energy and very active swimming and going for daily walks with no aches or pains like I usually have.  I can tell my joint replacements are working well and I felt so strong and healthy in Hawaii 



until I got covid.  Yep, I got it.  Darn it.  First, my sister and her husband tested positive and three days later I tested positive so I had to isolate for 5 days by not leaving our condo.  My sister and her husband both had coughs so they checked into a new condo to isolate.  Bruce, mysteriously never got it for some reason...lucky guy!  My brother and his wife were also there in another condo and they never got it, either.  The one good thing about the whole situation is that we got to stay in Hawaii an extra week.  YEAH!  My symptoms were not that bad, like a cold with congestion.  I never had a cough, sore throat or headache so I think my symptoms were pretty mild.  I had my covid booster shot in November so that probably helped.  Bruce just basically played golf everyday while I isolated which was a treat for him.  After my isolation was over, I was so thrilled to get back out and play in Hawaii that I went totally off Hannah's eating plan and the alcohol started to flow (which is NOT on the plan)!  


I hadn't had an alcoholic drink the whole time until I got out of isolation and then it all changed...


But it was worth it.  Hannah always says to follow the plan 80% of the time so you can go off of it for 20% which is very "do-able" for me.  But now I am on it again 100% so here I go again with more healthy recipes.  Last night, we had friends over for dinner and I made my Stuffed Bell Peppers and Tomatoes (I substituted the oatmeal and wheat germ for cooked quinoa), the side dish of Garlic Mushroom Quinoa, a green salad with Green Goddess Salad Dressing and everybody's favorite dessert of Macadamia Nut Clusters (I made them twice in Hawaii to help curb my never-ending sweet tooth).  Last night's meal was 100% on plan and also gluten-free which our friends follow.  It was a wonderful and delicious evening; you'd never know this was a meal for a "special diet" or special "eating regimen" or whatever you want to call it since all the foods were basic whole foods and no special or weird ingredients.  That's why I like Hannah's eating plan.  It's just normal food you get from a normal grocery store and most the recipes are pretty basic and simple.

Now that I'm back into the groove, I made this new recipe the other night of Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls.  I don't remember where I saw this recipe initially, but my mom use to make stuffed cabbage rolls a lot when I was growing up.  I never got her recipe but I always wanted to make them.  Her parents were from Bulgaria and she would often make recipes from “the old country” and we all loved her stuffed cabbage rolls.  This recipe is super simple, too.  It's not the authentic Bulgarian version but it will do for a quick weeknight dinner.  Cooked cabbage always elevates a meal, in my opinion...I just love cooked cabbage.  Here are two of my favorite cabbage recipes we make a lot; Salmon with Cabbage and Kale and Roast Chicken with Cabbage.  Now, I will add Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls to my list.  Enjoy!  

Serves 4 

1 pound ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 head cabbage or 1 small cabbage, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook and stir beef and onion until browned and crumbly, 5-7 minutes.  


2.  Add cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.   


3.  Cover the skillet, reduce heat, and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.  








 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had