Skip to main content

Garlic Mushroom Quinoa


Here is another spring-like recipe that I've made a couple times lately, including for our Easter dinner.  It's an easy side dish that you can add to any meal and everyone will love it. 

                   

It's a recipe from my Hannah Freese, RD collection that I've been following since September.  It makes life so much easier following her plan because I'm not thinking about if something is "healthy" or not.  Sure, I still make desserts occasionally for special occasions but for daily life, her plan is right on.  I feel so much better physically and I definitely have more energy now that our weather is getting nice.  I've pulled out my summer clothes and many are baggy on me now.  I'm not planning to shop for more, though, because next month I'm having my other knee replacement surgery, so I will be rehabilitating again for most of the summer.  I won't be going anywhere soon.  I've been training Bruce to make my favorite Freeze Method recipes so he's very familiar with the plan, too, which I plan to continue during my rehab.  I'm using more quinoa now which I didn't really like that much before but now I really like it.  Sometimes, I just add it to cooked veggies for some interesting texture and a nutty flavor.  It's like a grain (it's actually a seed) but low carb and higher protein than most grains.  Mushrooms are a nice hardy, meaty vegetable when you're trying to eat low carb and I find myself buying them a lot more now.  I consider this a hot vegetable dish when meal planning and I will also plan some type of salad or other green vegetable like on Easter when I included asparagus on the menu.  We had a family dinner on Sunday and I made this Garlic Mushroom Quinoa with a family favorite of teriyaki flank steak and asian pasta salad.  Bruce got six tickets to the Mariner game (I didn't go because my knee can't handle that much walking).  It was the grandkids first game and they LOVED it.  They stayed for the whole game which is amazing for a two and four-year old.  But then, there is a lot a good, yummy food to eat at the stadium and the four-year old is constantly asking questions.  "Why? Why?"   Yes, it's the "why" phase of life.  






We've been having summer-like weather lately and we've gone to our local beach twice this past week.  It's a grandkids' heaven.  Who wouldn't love a giant sandbox to play in all afternoon, complete with an endless water supply. 






And then there's the ride home...  We always love this part because it's rest time for all involved.  When they both fall asleep, then we know we did a good job.  


Since it's only April, I'm sure this summer weather won't be lasting long but we are sure enjoying it now.  And I'm thrilled that I have the energy to keep up with these two little ones that involve constant movement and activity - when they're awake, anyway.  The "day after" for Bruce and I usually looks like this: 
 

It's a rest day for us and back to my usual eating routine.  And this is another recipe I'll be adding to the routine and to more family dinners this summer. 

Makes 4 servings

1 cup quinoa
1-3/4 cups water
1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste

1.  Rinse quinoa in fine mesh side under cold running water for 3 minutes or until no soapy bubbles remain.

2.  Combine the rinsed and drained quinoa and water together in a pot.  Place over high heat and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover.  Let simmer for 12 -15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.  Remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.  


3.  While the quinoa cooks, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Sauté sliced mushrooms until soft.  Add garlic and sauté for another 1 -2 more minutes.  


4.  In a bowl, combine mushrooms with quinoa and season with salt and pepper.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had