Skip to main content

Crispy Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus


Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I get to have a restful day while, at the same time, I get to eat good food.  What could be better than that?  Bruce got a salmon that we plan to barbecue and since Nick has been requesting teriyaki salmon, we'll marinate this salmon with my family favorite teriyaki sauce.  I plan to make my last posted recipe Persian Chopped Salad because I didn't get enough of it last time.  Mother's Day is a lot like Easter when it comes to the menu.   So, Bruce suggested we have another popular dish, Orzo with Mushrooms and Walnuts, that we haven't had in a long time.  The final item we're going to make is this Crispy Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus that we had on Easter.  We got a free bunch of asparagus at our local grocery store since this is asparagus season and the prosciutto turns it into a special occasion dish like Mother's Day.  I think for dessert, we'll do strawberry short cake which is something simple and the grandkids love it, as does everyone else.  And there you go, our Mother's Day menu with minimum work for me.  I don't even need to clean house or set up the table because everyone was over last weekend so things are still set up for a family dinner.  We had our first barbecued hamburgers of the season last weekend after Bruce, Nick, Nick's friend, Jeff, and kids returned from the Mariner game.  


While they were gone at the game, I had friends over for lunch since we are all vaccinated now and I made my Zucchini Lasagna that turned out to be the best I've ever made. It was soooooo good!


I didn't really make it any different but I think it tasted so good because I was serving it while socializing with friends after a whole year of social distancing.  When I opened the door and nobody was wearing a mask, it was weird.  I can't believe how we have gotten so use to social distancing and wearing masks.   One of my guest brought champagne and it truly was a time for celebration.  The pandemic has really taught us to enjoy the simple things in life and to appreciate what we have and I do appreciate so much more now. 

As Mother's Day approaches, I've been thinking about my own mom who passed away in 2009.  Bruce and I are full blown Grandma and Grandpa now with Nick moving back to the U.S. from Japan in July.  We've been grandparents since 2016 but now we see our grandkids at least twice a week and it reminds me so much of when Nick and Lauren were little and I'd take them over to their Grandma and Grandpa's house.  My parents only lived 4 miles away and it was wonderful.  My dad always had barbecues in their backyard, just like we do now.  
My parents never got tired of having Nick and Lauren around. I'd take them over there just so I could rest for an hour or so and both my parents would be thrilled to see the kids and immediately start playing with them, every time. I remember collapsing on their couch to rest as soon as we'd get there.  Our own grandkids are two and four-years old so all these memories are coming back to me because I see how tired Nick and Sachiyo are.  But as soon as they walk in the door, Bruce and I are so thrilled to see them and we  immediately start playing with them every time.   My mom lived to be 86 years old and her love for Nick and Lauren stayed strong until the day she died. They brought her so much joy.


Thank you, mom, for showing me how to be a grandma.   You were such a good role model and I will never forget you.  I have been filled with your grandma spirit and I am now enjoying my time with my own grandkids, just as you always did, every time. I really do get it now.  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and grandmas on this special day.  And Happy Mother's Day to all our moms and grandmas who are no longer with us but who's spirits remain in us all. 

Makes 4 servings

3 cups asparagus, woody ends trimmed
5 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced strips

1.   Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with foil.

2.  Wrap each asparagus in prosciutto, or until you run out of prosciutto.  Not all asparagus needs to be wrapped. 

3.  Transfer to your baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.

                       

4.  Divide onto plates or serve from a platter.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had