Skip to main content

Persian Chopped Salad


I made another really great salad this weekend when my family came over for dinner that is from Heather Christo's blog.  She is a food blogger who I've followed for a long time who lived in Seattle.  They have since moved from the area but I still love reading her blog.  Her family has a lot of food allergies so her recipes are geared toward omitting common allergenic foods such as gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, etc.  It's really interesting to read her story here and she also has a lot of information about allergies or just food intolerances in general.  She also has a cookbook you can get here.  I've used a lot of her recipes on my blog, mostly in the "alcoholic beverage" section of my blog.  For whatever reason, Heather has A LOT of really good cocktail recipes and her photos are gorgeous.  Hey, the girl knows how to have a good time, is all I can say... Now that I am on this journey to clean-up my own diet, I am more attracted to her other recipes besides just her alcoholic beverage recipes and this salad is a good one.  I was attracted to it because it uses Persian cucumbers.  I see them at Trader Joe's all the time and Nick's family eats them a lot.  They are very popular in Japan.  If you've never seen them, they are small, baby cucumbers, usually about 5" - 6" long. They are also very thinned skinned and nearly seedless.  They are different than English cucumbers mainly because they are smaller but also because they are more crunchy than English cucumbers, less watery, and more sweet.  The grandkids love them.  At Trader Joe's, they usually come in a package of half a dozen or so.  

This recipe has a lot of good things in it like the spice called Za'atar, which is a Middle Eastern spice.  It's a combination of dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, sumac, toasted sesame seeds and salt but there are a lot of varieties.  You can make your own or purchase it in the store.  I just bought a jar of it at the grocery store to keep life simple.  It also has garbanzo beans to add a little protein and that Middle Eastern flare to it.  Everyone in my family loved this salad so it passed the taste test.  I plan to make this recipe lots and lots this summer as a good side dish for barbecues.  I'm trying to avoid the starchy salads like macaroni and potato salads that are so common in the summer and instead have lots of low carb choices like this one.  If they are all as tasty as this one, I'm sure no one will even miss our typical starchy alternatives. 

 Serves 6

4 Persian cucumbers, cut into bite sized pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 bunch of radishes, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces 
1 small purple onion, diced (or I used a sweet onion such as Walla Walla or Vidialia onion)
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 ounces fresh dill, finely chopped
1 cup packed fresh mint, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley

                                                 Za'atar Vinaigrette

1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. za'atar
kosher salt

1.  Combine all of the vegetables and the fresh herbs in a large bowl.


2.  In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar and za'atar.  Season to taste with kosher salt.

3.  Toss the dressing into the vegetables and season to taste with kosher salt.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had