Skip to main content

Thai Chicken Green Curry



Restaurants are open here at 50% capacity now but I can't even remember the last time I was inside a restaurant and we don't plan on going inside one anytime soon.  The coronavirus variant B.1.1.7 is in our county now so despite being vaccinated, they are still telling us to wear masks and social distance until they know if we could carry the variant and spread it to non-vaccinated people.  Sachiyo is the only non-vaccinated adult we are around now since Nick and Lauren have both been vaccinated for their jobs so we are still being cautious and following the guidelines of health experts.  We've been able to get our Asian fusion-fix without going to restaurants by making recipes like this one.   I've made this multiple times and love it every time and it's so easy.  It's easy because it uses bottled green curry paste that adds instant flavor.  I use this brand from Thai Kitchen that is compliant with my new eating plan from Hannah Freese, RD.

                                      

Since I've been following her program my lipid profile has now improved and I no longer have metabolic syndrome.  Metabolic syndrome is when your metabolism has slowed down with symptoms that include difficulty losing weight; low energy or  being tired all the time; poor sleep quality; excess body fat around the waist area; unhealthy lipid profile putting you at risk for heart disease; prediabetes or Type 2 diabetes; high blood pressure, just to name a few.  I got my lipid profile tested this month and my triglycerides and HDL cholesterol have improved drastically.  That means that I don't have excessive insulin circulating in my bloodstream which causes you to store fat instead of burning fat for energy.  Hannah provides an eating plan that helps us to repair our broken metabolism because it is really hard to lose weight and improve all the above if your metabolism is broken.  I am slowly getting there but seeing my labs improve was a big boost in my confidence even though I still have weight to lose.  My triglycerides went from 139 (Jan. '20) to currently 84.  My HDL went from 61 to now 92.  If you take the ratio of triglycerides/HDL, that is an indication of metabolic syndrome and you want your ratio to be under 1.65.  Mine went from 2.28 last year to currently 0.913 so I am very happy about that.  I began eliminating sugar and toxic oils in my diet in September with the exception of dark chocolate, which I wrote about here.  There are still a lot of things I need to improve but I'm going to just keep plugging along because I know this eating plan is something I can continue indefinitely and it makes me feel so much better to eat this way.  It's not a drastic lifestyle change at all, as you can see that I survived the holidays and even enjoyed St. Patrick's Day with my Irish Soda Bread scones which are not part of the plan but you can go off of it once in awhile and it's not a deal breaker.  Once you improve your metabolism, your body can handle going off of it once in awhile, just not all the time.  You must read labels constantly to avoid foods with added sugar, as well as the toxic oils (sunflower oil, canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil, and soybean oil) so that's what I do now to make sure I'm making compliant meals.  Hannah Freese, RD sends us recipes every month and sometimes I can make slight adjustments to other new recipes to make them compliant so it's not really that hard.  The hard part is to make sure you always plan ahead so you are not caught unprepared and then get tempted to go off the plan.  Eating out at restaurants is one of the worse obstacles of the plan because most restaurants will use the toxic oils or added sugars.  The pandemic has been good for me in that regards and learning to eat out again will be a whole new challenge when that time comes. If you are craving Thai food and want to whip up a super easy one at home because you are a homebody like me, this is the recipe for you.  

Makes 4 servings

1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
olive oil
1  4oz jar green curry paste (or to taste)
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced thinly
5 cups chopped bok choy or 3 small heads of bok choy


1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and lay cauliflower in a single layer on baking sheet. Toss the cauliflower with a few drizzles of olive oil.  Roast for 20 minutes or until golden brown, tossing halfway through.  

2.  Combine curry paste and coconut milk in a pot over medium heat.  Stir to combine then bring to a simmer.  



3.  In a skillet, sauté chicken until cooked throughly.  


4.  Pour curry paste/coconut milk mixture into skillet with chicken. 


5.  Stir in bok choy with cooked chicken sauce and continue cooking until the bok choy has wilted.  Add roasted cauliflower. 


6.  Divide between bowls and enjoy!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had