Skip to main content

Gingerbread Snacking Cake with Lemon Sauce


Last night, we had a dessert after dinner that everyone loved and I even had a few requests for seconds so I decided this was a keeper.  I wanted a Christmas-type dessert that wasn't too filling or sweet but would really hit the spot for this festive time of year.  So, gingerbread it was.  But I wanted a light and mild gingerbread that wasn't too heavy and this little snacking cake from Martha Stewart was perfect.  We had the kids and grandkids over which was our last get-together before Christmas because Bruce and I are doing another self-quarantine for Christmas.  We'll have my sister and her husband over for Christmas Eve dinner and then on Christmas, we'll have the kids and grandkids over like we did for Thanksgiving.  That worked out really well, so we plan to do it again.  While they were here yesterday, we made Christmas cookies; one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  

                        



I used my cookie recipe for the Halloween cookies that are the best shortbread cookies and buttercream frosting recipe that you'll ever need in your cookie collection.  The grandkids mostly enjoyed playing with the flour and using the cookie cutters.  

                         

After baking them for 10 minutes and letting them cool, we decorated them with the buttercream frosting with various food coloring options

                         

but this did not last long because soon they licked their fingers and that was pretty much the end of it... we could not get them to stop eating the cookies!  I've always bragged about this cookie recipe, though.  Once you take that one bite, you cannot stop eating them since this recipe is THAT good. It's the almond roca candy recipe of the cookie world.  The grandkids picked up on that real fast.  

                        

Suddenly, Bruce and I were stuck finishing the decorating.  Our granddaughter disappeared from the scene and when we called out to her to come help us finish, she yelled back "I'm eating!"  We couldn't help but laugh.  She'd discovered the shortbread cookie recipe!  We ended up only doing half the amount we'd planned so I put the rest of the cookie dough in the freezer for...I don't know what...maybe Valentine's Day?   They turned out very colorful to say the least and both kids were so proud of their Christmas cookies.  Mission accomplished.  



With all the sweets in the house right now, we were not lacking in dessert yesterday.  However, I still wanted to make something that was not cookies or candy for dessert but was still Christmas-y so I picked this gingerbread snacking cake recipe. I've already made my Spritz cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, and Chocolate Snowflakes



Bruce has also made two batches of the almond roca that is going fast. 
 
                      



Do we really need more dessert?  Yes, of course.  It's Christmas!  I'm glad I did because I love gingerbread at Christmas and this simple cake is a nice change of pace.  I like my gingerbread with lemon sauce and this lemon sauce recipe is from How To Feed a Loon. (I wanted a recipe without cornstarch, although you can still thicken it with cornstarch if you want.  I found that it did not need thickening.)   I would also add some whipped cream to top the cake next time to really complete it.  Nick and Lauren both mentioned that it would be really good with a little whipped cream but I was afraid it might be over-doing it.   Is that even possible this time of year?  It's Christmas, after all.  Enjoy this easy gingerbread snacking cake with a little lemon sauce drizzled over the top and a dollop of whipped cream.  You won't be over-doing it.  Trust me. 

Serves 12

8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup unsulfured molasses
1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Lemon Sauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour 9 X 13-inch cake pan; set aside.


2.  In a bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside. 


3.  In a large bowl, sift together flour, ground spices, salt, and baking powder;  set aside. 

4.  In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light.


5.  Beat in brown sugar until fluffy.  Beat in molasses, grated ginger and baking soda mixture.  I use this molasses that is unsulfured.

                     

6.  Turn down mixer to low and add the flour mixture.  Beat in eggs. 


7. Pour batter into the prepared pan. 


8.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. 


9.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Dust with confectioners' sugar. 


You can eat it just like this or for a more finishing touch, serve with this lemon sauce with a dollop of whipped cream.

Lemon Sauce

1.  Combine the sugar, butter and cream in a small saucepan.

2.  Cook over medium heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly.

3.  Reduce heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes.

4.  Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest.

5.  Cool slightly

6.  Pour over gingerbread while still warm and top with whipped cream. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had