Skip to main content

Parmesan Chicken



Our local grocery store often has BOGO deals that means Buy One, Get One and of course, I always go for it.  The store will usually have four weeks in a row of such deals and often include steak, salmon fillets, and good old chicken breasts.  They aren't doing BOGO now because of the coronavirus but I still have a few of their packages of BOGO meats in the freezer that we are using up.  It actually feels good to be going through the food in the freezer.  I'm not sure what I was saving it all for - a virus outbreak, I guess.  We haven't been to the store in over 10 days now so we're starting to get a new grocery list together which means I'm figuring out menus.  I ordered from Instacart twice and they delivered to our front porch and Bruce has been once to the grocery store during the senior hour which they have from 7:00am - 8:00 am.  There aren't that many people in the store at that time which is nice.  But things change constantly with this outbreak.   Many stores are limiting the number of people into the store now.  People are wearing masks now when going outside the home (finally!) which I thought we should have been doing all along but I understand how they couldn't advise that because people would hoard.  In our area, there are less hospital admissions of covid patients and we never did run out of hospital beds like in other parts of the country and now they say we are most likely past our peak.  We started "social distancing" very early on and now it is paying off.  I'm so glad!  Unfortunately, it has taken me this long to get use to not running to store every time I need something.  We have three grocery stores within walking distance so there is never a need to stock up, really.  Planning ahead takes practice and although we are doing it now, it did take awhile.  I didn't realize how much food we have in this house!  Of course, we do get cravings for certain things so I made my banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies the other day.  These are good for breakfast or snack.


And it's always fun to change it up by eating breakfast for dinner.  We like to do this with our favorite health pancakes.  How many of you are eating breakfast for dinner these days?


We found a package of BOGO steak in the freezer over the weekend and made perfectly cooked, medium rare steak, just the way we like it with some dried morel mushrooms from my pantry that I rehydrated and sautéed in butter.  That was one good dinner.


Digging through the freezer determines what we'll eat so I just think of interesting ways to fix it, like with these chicken breasts.  Of all my chicken recipes, half of them are for chicken breasts.  They are really versatile;  good for soups, for marinates, for salads, you name it.  This recipe is one of my favorites. You can make Parmesan Chicken with marinara sauce and pasta with melted mozzarella cheese over it but I actually like it just plain with a salad or vegetable.  My mom made Chicken Parmesan when I was growing up and I always loved it. You don't really need a recipe for it.  It's one of those things where you just dip it into a liquid mixture and a bread mixture and you can bake it or fry it.  As usual, I like the way Ina Garten makes it so I used the recipe from her cookbook, Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  I still have one more package of frozen BOGO chicken breast in the freezer after this one so what shall I make next?

Serves 6

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 extra-large eggs
1-1/4  cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
unsalted butter
olive oil

1.  Pound chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick.  You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.  Lightly season with salt and pepper.

2.  Combined the flour, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper on a dinner dinner plate or pie pan.


3.  Beat eggs with 1 Tbsp. of water in a second pie pan.

4.  In a third pie pan, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.


5.  Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture.


6.  Dip both sides of chicken breasts into the egg mixture.


7.  Dredge both sides of chicken breasts in the bread crumb mixture, pressing lightly.


8.  Heat 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large sauce pan.


9.  Cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through.  Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts.


Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and a nice hardy salad.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had