Skip to main content

Chicken, Bean and Vegetable Soup


We are in the epicenter of the coronavirus virus here in Seattle and there is constant news bulletins and recommendations coming out everyday.  It is getting rather tiresome, I must admit.  We had to cancel our Mariner ticket party and were so bummed out about that  (The health department is recommending people over the age of 60 avoid crowded environments or what they call "social distancing".)   It's exhausting getting up every morning and reading the newspaper on all the latest developments.  And in the evening, the news reports go on and on about it.  Usually, this is my favorite time of the year, but this virus is certainly changing what spring is all about.  Our Mariner ticket party has always been such a great way to begin our spring, as well as our much anticipated beginning of baseball season.  And now, Bruce and I have to figure out how to do the ticket selection process on-line.  It's really not that difficult, as this is how most season ticket groups run their ticket selections but we just like having the party because we get to see everyone again and all the people in our group are fun people and are as eager as we are for baseball to start.  We're hearing on the news how stores are in short supply of a lot of items because people are panicking and stocking up as in a disaster.  You basically cannot buy hand sanitizer around here anymore...or toilet paper.  I mean, really?  I'm already getting tired of it but they all say it's only going to get worse.  Last night, I really felt like comfort food so I made the soup I made of my nephew's wedding celebration, Italian Wedding Soup.   I just love this recipe so much.


I'm going to freeze some to have on hand in case we get sick (another recommendation they are saying to do - to stock up on foods for illness, OTC drugs for cold or flue,  a 2 weeks supply of prescription drugs, etc.)  Also, we're suppose to be stocking up in case we have to be quarantined which means not going out of your house for 2 weeks.  I guess if I have to be quarantined, I'd rather be doing it at home and not be on a cruise ship or army barracks like a lot of people are.  No, thank you.  Earlier in the week, I made another favorite soup recipe for the second time - this chicken, bean and vegetable soup.  I got it from a food blog I follow called Lectin-Free Mama.  It is the ultimate anti-inflammatory diet.   I should be following it more strictly, but I end up cheating a lot.  I can tell that if I do stick to it, I definitely feel a lot better and less "stiff".  Which brings me to another recommendation we keep hearing about since this virus outbreak; to eat healthy to boost your immune system.  The people who have died have all had underlying health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc.  It's survival of the fittest around here!  So, yes, I do have healthy eating on my mind these days.  This recipe is chock full of healthy foods - broccoli, sweet potatoes, dried beans, garlic, carrots...and it's very satisfying.  The first time, I made it without the broccoli (because I forgot to put it in) and it was still super delicious.  I think the sweet potatoes make it real sweet and I've decided that sweet potatoes make for a good substitute for tomatoes which are inflammatory (because they are a nightshade vegetable.)  Another one of my favorite recipes from this blog was the anti-inflammatory chili I posted here.  Again, it uses sweet potatoes and it tastes just like regular chili.  You may not be fighting against the coronavirus where you live, but it never hurts to boost your immune system with a healthy soup like this one.  If you're tired of waiting for spring to arrive and it's still soup season where you live like it is here, add this recipe to your list.

Makes 4 servings

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 white sweet potatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
 sea salt and black pepper
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 quarts chicken broth
1 cup beans of your choice such as white beans, soaked over night and rinsed
1 bay leaf
10 ounces frozen broccoli, steamed

1.  Heat oil in a large soup pot and sauce onions, carrots, sweet potato and garlic until onions are translucent.   Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.


2.  While this is cooking, season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.   Heat a skillet with more olive oil over medium-high heat and add chicken thighs to skillet. Sear for about 5 minutes or until you can easily flip them over.


3.  Flip and cook for 6 more minutes.  Remove and set aside to cool.

4.  When chicken thighs are cool, shred with two forks.


5.  Add broth, beans, chicken and bay leaf to soup pot.  Cook until beans are soft, approximately 1 hour.  Season with salt and pepper.

6.  Stir in steamed broccoli right before serving.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had