Skip to main content

Lectin-Free Chili


This is my most favorite chili recipe and it contains no tomatoes or beans, can you believe it?  Tomatoes and beans are high lectin foods so I've been avoiding them as part of my anti-inflammatory diet.  If the beans are pressure cooked, then the lectin content is reduced.  Unless you pressure cook your own beans, the only other kind they say are compliant are Eden Organic Beans which are sold at a store near my house but I don't mind avoiding them.  And they say you can eat tomatoes if you avoid all the seeds and skin so tomato paste and sauce is O.K. if you know that they process them that way such as the brand Pomi.  So, there are lots of ways to avoid lectin by not being that restrictive in your diet but I've found that there are so many good recipes out there by avoiding high lectin foods altogether, like this chili recipe.  It's amazing you can love a chili with no tomatoes or beans, but trust me, you will.  I've made this recipe four times this fall already and everybody loves it.  The trick is that it has a can of puree sweet potato and beef broth.  The "beans" are actually pine nuts.  It's really easy to make, too.  Most of the lectin-free food blogs use the Instant Pot to cook in because it is like a pressure cooker but I just use an old fashioned stock pot that I cook all my soups and stews in and it turns out just great. Last night was a good chili night because we went down to Alki Beach near our house to sing Christmas carols with the Christmas ships. 


This is a 69-year tradition in Seattle, since 1949.  The Christmas ships have a schedule of all the beaches where they stop and there is a choir on the biggest ship that sings Christmas carols.  All are encouraged to join in singing. 


There is a bon fire on the beach where they stop, but nowadays, the bon fire is not very big.  It's mostly just a regular fire now.  I remember when it was a huge bon fire in the days before safety was an issue.  It was an adventure to go down to the beach where the Christmas ships were just to see the bon fire!  Not so much anymore. 


There were hardly any people around the fire last night because it wasn't cold at all.  This was the first time I can remember going to see the Christmas ships and not FREEZING!  But it was a balmy 40 degrees last night, no wind, low tide so you could walk out far from the beach to see the ships and it was just extremely pleasant.  


I eventually peeled off my gloves, hat and scarf by the night's end because I was too warm!  Imagine that.  The chili actually did warm me up, I guess.  

Serves 4

1 Tbsp. oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, finely diced
1 pound ground beef
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
2 cups beef broth
2/3 cup pine nuts
1-15 ounce can sweet potato puree
1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from preserved chipotles (These come in a can so I put them all in a baggie and keep in the freezer.  Thaw out before using to get a Tbsp. of the sauce)
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. coconut aminos
salt and pepper, to taste
scallions and sour cream for garnish, if desired

1.  Heat oil in a large stock pot and add onions, garlic and celery.  Cook for about 5 minutes until soft.


2.  Add ground beef and brown meat, breaking apart while cooking for about 3-4 minutes until browned.  


3.  Add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves, and stir, cooking for 1 minute.


4.  Pour in broth and stir. 


5.  Add the pine nuts, sweet potato puree, adobo sauce, wine vinegar, coconut amino and salt and pepper to taste. 



6.  Cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour.  May serve with scallions and sour cream, if desired 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had