Skip to main content

Olivia's Weeklong Wedding Celebration



We had a wedding in our family last weekend; my niece, Olivia married her boyfriend, Caleb. 


I wrote about this up-coming event when we went to Olivia's bridal shower in December.  Olivia is the daughter of my brother, Bob, and his wife, Jennifer.  They live in the area so all the events took place nearby which made it very convenient for us.  We had a lot of family arrive into town for the big day starting on Friday of last week.  


The first night that everyone was in town, we all met at an Ale House for dinner (one of many, many Ale Houses in Seattle.)  Our favorite one, the 74th St Ale House, is too small for the crowd that was coming so we opted for a larger one across from Green Lake called Jak's.  It use to be called the Green Lake Ale House but they recently changed their name. 


There were 16 of us so we got two tables in the back and it was really quite perfect.  Lots of talking and silliness, as this was our first gathering of the week as everyone arrived in town.  On Saturday, we were all invited to the rehearsal dinner at Bob's church and it was a potluck so I made my Honey Sesame Chicken in the crockpot and we also made rice in the rice cooker to go with it.  Then I made my Asian Pasta Salad and Lemon Jello Cake that are both perfect potluck recipes that everyone loves. 



There was so much incredible food at this potluck.  There were about 60 people attending and this time we were able to visit with Jennifer's side of the family, many whom are from Boise that we knew when we lived there.  It was good to see them again when everyone is in such a celebratory mood.  Below is Jennifer with her mom. 



Soon the bride and groom arrived and the party really started. 



Here's my sister and younger brother with the bride-to-be. 



Here's Olivia with Lauren and cousin Claire, along with her maid-of-honor on the right. 


After dinner various people gave speeches, including Jennifer, who gave a touching speech that included a very nice compliment toward our family. 


The next day was Sunday, the day of the wedding, and we were all tired out from the two days of festivities already.  To perk ourselves up,  Bruce, myself and one of my sister's went for a walk on Alki Beach for some fresh air and exercise.  



It was 53 degrees with high winds and white caps but it felt good to be outside.  At this point, I had two of my four sisters staying at our house.  In preparation for the visitors at our house, I had made two loaves of my Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread


two loaves of Dill Bread 


and a double batch of granola


 I also made everyone's favorite Pasta Fazool with dill bread for lunch on Friday after we picked up my two sister's from the airport.  One of my sisters made table decorations for the rehearsal dinner on Saturday that turned out very cute.


She brought the supplies with her and worked on them on Saturday while I prepared food for the potluck.  There was never a dull moment around here, activities going on in every direction.


Driving to the wedding on Sunday, there was a rainbow going across the floating bridge.  Was this a sign?  


The wedding was at The Red Barn in Redmond, a very rustic environment, but cute for a wedding.  


My nephew's two little girls were the flower girls and behind them they pulled a red wagon with their 1-year old brother.  Soooooooo cute!




Olivia was a gorgeous bride. 



It was emotionally exhausting for my brother to give away his little girl but in the end, he knows he's really gaining another son.  


He gave a very heartfelt toast during the wedding that brought tears to many eyes. 




Many people requested a written version of his toast to Olivia because it was that good.


Father and daughter. 


There were lots of photos taken and here is one of my family; myself, Bruce, Lauren and Ari - without Nick and Sachiyo who are in Japan and couldn't make it.



Another nephew was missing who was in France for work but everyone else in my family was there.  Here is a photo of all my siblings; my two brothers and four sisters. 





The sisters




Olivia and Caleb had a sparkler send off that was very fun. 




My nephew and his girlfriend had fun with their sparklers.



My two sisters got into it, too. 



And off they go, the bride and groom. 





Time for cigars...part of the wedding celebration...




Olivia and Caleb are off on their honeymoon to Sedona, Arizona but our family reunion continued.  The next day my sister, Barbara, who lives in town had dinner at her house so all 17 of us joined in for another family gathering. 





She made a cocktail called a Negroni




made with equal parts vermouth, gin and campari.




Some of us had to dilute it with 7-up since they were strong drinks.




Barbara prepared a kurobuta ham, macaroni and cheese, chopped vegetable salad, roasted potatoes, a fruit plate and I brought more of my dill bread. Like I said, we never go hungry at family affairs.  And once again, the men smoked their cigars. 




On Tuesday, two of my sisters flew home and another sister and her husband had already come over to stay at our house so we took a tour of our neighborhood, along with Barbara who came over.  After touring Alki Beach; the Fauntleroy ferry; driving by the house where we had our wedding reception; we ended up at our favorite local hangout- Bakery Nouveau.




We shopped around the Junction for awhile and then went home to relax.  My last sister and her husband left the next day and everyone was gone.  Wheew!!  But wait, not quite. My younger brother and his wife from Boise were still here staying at a friend's house, so last night we got together for one last time at where we originally had planned to begin last Friday night; at the 74th St Ale House. 





One last family get-together for Olivia's Weeklong Wedding Celebration!  Cheers to great family memories.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had