Skip to main content

Super Creamy Macaroni and Cheese





This is another lighter version of a popular dish, macaroni and cheese.  It's adapted from Weight Watcher's again where 1 cup of this dish will provide 6 points.  I made this dish for our latest visitors who were here from Minnesota for three days.  Bruce's nephew, his wife and three kids were here taking in our local sights after visiting the San Juan Islands and the Olympic Peninsula.  



We had so much fun with them here and especially with their children.  Children bring a whole new dimension into the household and I loved it.   We babysat on Saturday night while mom and dad went to Depeche Mode concert.  Babysitting meant popcorn and movies...


During their visit, we had lots of ping pong tournaments


 family dinners



sightseeing


visiting Farmer's Markets



spending time at playgrounds



riding the water taxi




and the monorail


and just enjoying this marvelous time of year.



I tried to plan menus according to the season and, of course, trying to appeal to small children...the biggest challenge of all, as most of us know.  But it really wasn't too hard, I just made sure I had a lot of variety.  My favorite meal was Sunday night when Bruce barbecued his most delicious baby back ribs and I made my roasted winter vegetables with a fresh salad.  I also made pumpkin pie filling for dessert, without the crust because we had two people here who avoid gluten but who needs the crust when you can still enjoy it with a dollop of whipped cream.  Yummy.  I also made my gluten free white chocolate coconut macadamia nut cookies which are always popular with everyone.  I bought a Trader Joe's mix of gluten free pumpkin bread which was basically gone after the first day and also bought a loaf of Great Harvest gluten free white bread which is very hardy and delicious for toast.  It's pretty easy to do gluten free these days.  When we went to our local Farmer's Market on Sunday, I bought gluten free cinnamon rolls for the next morning which also passed the taste test.  I made a couple of casseroles that we ate the first night and for lunches.  The most popular one is the quinoa fiesta enchilada bake that you can serve with avocados and tortilla chips/salsa.  It was eaten pretty fast, too, but I also made one of my favorites, shepherds pie.  I made two pans of this and Bruce and I just finished the last of it tonight for dinner.  I think it tastes better each day it is leftover.  Last night, Bruce barbecued Cornish game hens which really hit the spot after we spent five hours in town sightseeing and the weather has been gorgeous here again so let's barbecue!  Our visitors did go to the Museum of Flight on Sunday and enjoyed that but the weather has just gotten better since then.  



I really loved this macaroni and cheese recipe so wanted to post it because I will want to make it again.  It's made with carrots and cauliflower so you don't need to use as much cheese.  The carrots make it look very orange (like Kraft's which I've NEVER bought in my life) so it looks very cheesy but the vegetables make it taste sweet and flavorful.  I have always used whole wheat pasta in macaroni and cheese so I did in this one, too.   I love this recipe.

1 tsp. salted butter
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 head large uncooked cauliflower, (2 lbs)
4 medium uncooked carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup low fat cream cheese spread
1-1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
1-1/2 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded (1/4 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
8 oz uncooked macaroni
cooking spray


1.  Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring a large saucepot of salted water to a boil.

2.  Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add panko and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and let cool; stir in Pecorino and set aside.



3.  Cut 3 cups small florets from cauliflower; set aside. Cut remaining cauliflower (including stem) into 2-inch pieces. Add cauliflower pieces and carrots to boiling water; cook until very tender, 10–12 minutes.



4.  Meanwhile, combine broth, cream cheese, mustard, 1/4 c shredded Mexican cheese, Gruyere cheese, salt and pepper sauce in a large blender. With a large slotted spoon, transfer cooked vegetables to blender; puree into a creamy sauce.


5.  Add pasta to same pot of boiling water; cook half the time of package directions, adding reserved cauliflower florets during last minute of cooking. Drain pasta and cauliflower; return to pot and stir in pureed sauce.


6.  Coat a 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray; spoon pasta mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Sprinkle dish with remaining 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese and reserved crumb mixture; bake until golden on top, 25–30 minutes.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had