Skip to main content

Crisp Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



I've posted chocolate chip cookies before but this is a different version for those who like their cookies more crisp.   I have my favorite soft and chewing cookies here or chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal here.  Now, here's a recipe for a crisp cookie that I got from Joy, the Baker.  If you remember, I got her latest cookbook signed by her in March. That was right before we went to New Orleans where she lives so it was a thrill to see her here in Seattle.  I always wanted to make her Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies so I finally did.  My brother and his wife came to visit this weekend for a Sounders soccer game and Mariners baseball game so I try to fill the cookie jar when he comes, being that I'm his favorite sister...(since I have four sisters, I do have competition.)  Bruce and I went to two Mariner games this weekend and have a third tomorrow night so we've been busy.  The Mariner's are only at home here in Seattle for one week this month so we need to get in as many as we can, while we can.   They retired Edgar Martinez's number who is a long time Mariner favorite player.  He played all of his 18 MLB years here in Seattle and was always a key player so they had a nice ceremony for him with other old time team players returning to congratulate him, including Ken Griffey, Jr. 


We couldn't miss this ceremony and it's also the reason my brother came to town for this game.  


The years when Edgar Martinez played in the 90's and early 2000's, were the best years for the Mariners and our favorite baseball memories.  


They even lite up a building downtown with Edgar's number on it, #11.  


With all our running in and out of the house this weekend going to and from games, it was nice to be able to grab a cookie on the go.  We even took some along with us to share with our baseball friends at the games.  Here are some notes about this recipe:

My cookies turned out very crisp even though the description describes them as crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle.  I think maybe I made mine too small so be sure to use 2 heaping tablespoons of dough.  I ended up with four dozen instead of three dozen.  Also, be sure to chill at least 30 minutes, which I did but maybe they need to be chilled longer. I did not sprinkle with sea salt, but it's part of the recipe so I left it in.  I've made cookies like this before, but I prefer my cookies without salt on top. 

Makes 3 dozen  

1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top


1.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.


2.  Place half the butter (8 tablespoons) in a medium skillet. Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. It’ll foam and froth as it cooks, and start to crackle and pop. 



3.  Once the crackling stops, keep a close eye on the melted butter, continuing to swirl the pan often. The butter will start to smell nutty, and brown bits will form in the bottom. 


4.  Once the bits are amber brown (about 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or so after the sizzling stops), remove the butter from the burner and immediately pour it into a small bowl, bits and all. This will stop the butter from cooking and burning. Allow it to cool for 20 minutes.


5.  Beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter with the brown sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.

6.  Beat in the vanilla extract and molasses.

7.  Pour the cooled brown butter into the bowl, along with the granulated sugar. Beat for 2 minutes, until smooth; the mixture will lighten in color and become fluffy.


8.  Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat for one minute more.



8.  Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, beating on low speed just until everything is incorporated.


9.  Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and pecans and finish incorporating all of the dry flour bits into the dough.


10.  Scoop the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper, or plastic wrap. Flatten it slightly into a thick disk, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. 


11.  About 15 minutes before you’re ready to begin baking, place racks in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat your oven to 350°F.

12.  Scoop the dough in 1-2 teaspoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about   2″ between the cookies; they’ll spread as they bake.


13.  Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt, to taste — as much or as little as you like.

14.  Bake the cookies for 8 to 12 minutes depending how big you make them
 until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to rest on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before moving them.


Serve warm; or cool completely, and store airtight at room temperature for several days. For longer storage, wrap well and freeze.







SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had