Skip to main content

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


Once again, we are bypassing our Super Bowl party this year because we are going to Seattle to watch the Seahawks play, just like we did last year.  Go Hawks! We would never pass up an opportunity to experience the excitement that is going on in that city right now.  Even Lauren, who was never a big football fan, is totally into it.  She watched the Seahawks play last Sunday with her front door open so she and friends could hear the stadium as they watched it on T.V.  She lives only a few miles from CenturyLink Field which is the loudest stadium in the league and once again, they won the NFC Championship game, in a miraculous (and exhausting!) fashion.  We were texting with her and Nick in Japan, as we were in San Diego for Bruce's convention.  It was a very intense Sunday afternoon as my whole family was watching that game.  Bruce and I had to go out and burn off all our tension on the beach after that game.  We walked down the beach to the Navy Base to check out where Nick will be working for 2 weeks in June but we could not stop taking about that game and planning another Super Bowl weekend in Seattle.



I decided to make some cookies to take to Seattle - easy to pack in a suitcase.  Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies and I'm one of those people who always like oats in my chocolate chip cookies, you know, a little soluble fiber for some added nutrition.  Of course, I'll eat any chocolate chip cookie but my favorite is oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. 

Makes 3 dozen  

1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 cubes) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; adjust oven racks to low and middle positions. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.


3. Cream together the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. 


4.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then mix in the vanilla.


5. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon.


6.  Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.


7. Using 2 heaping tablespoons per cookie, roll the dough into balls and place on the cookie sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. 


8.  Bake until the cookie edges are just turning golden brown, but the middles are still quite pale, about 12 to 14 minutes.

9.  Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had