Skip to main content

Pasta Coleslaw


If you're looking for a nice salad recipe this 4th of July weekend, I got one for you. The recipe is from my sister-in-law, Jennifer, who said it was the best coleslaw recipe she and my brother have ever tasted so I had to try it out. I served it this week while Bruce's dad and sister were visiting from the Midwest.



It's a good recipe because you can serve it the next day for lunch and it will still taste fresh.  Our guests loved it, too, and the pasta adds a nice addition that is pleasing to the palate.  

Serves 6

4 oz. ditalini (or other small pasta)
8 oz. finely chopped cabbage (about half a small head)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/2 English cucumber, finely chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
small can chopped water chestnuts ( I used 1/2 can of an 8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts and chopped them myself)

Dressing

3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
salt/pepper

1.  Cook pasta, drain and rinse in cold water.



2.  Chop all vegetables and toss with pasta.


3.  Whisk dressing in a small bowl and pour over cole slaw.



4.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Along with this delicious cole slaw we had our family favorite teriyaki flank steak, cheesy potatoes and saute zucchini. For dessert,
we had lemon cake with vanilla Tillamook ice cream. (a local brand)  This meal was dinner for our first evening, the day they arrived and it really hit the spot for them.  We had lunch earlier after we picked them up from the airport and I made another favorite grilled open face sandwich with alioli with some chips and fruit.  They had fun looking at the view and since it was such a beautiful day we decided to 


take them down to the beach and watch the cruise ships leave at 4:00 pm.  Of course, there are always a lot more things to watch and see down there, too. 


After a nice driving tour of Alki Beach we headed home and Bruce made his famous mai tai recipe.  Lynn and Ken know this recipe well since they also drank them in Kona Hawaii, where the recipe originated.



Did you know that June 30th is National Mai Tai Day?  We did not know that but we had a Mai Tai to celebrate anyway! Ken celebrated his 90th birthday on May 21st so we decided to continue the celebration during his visit here so Bruce and I contacted our Mariner season ticket rep. Chuck, and he arranged a wonderful visit to Safeco Field.




We had some wine tasting with local Washington wine right across from our seats


a "goodie bag" with lots of Mariner treats for Ken's birthday including some old-time Mariner baseball cards


and a surprise greeting on the Big Screen wishing Ken a "Happy Birthday".


Ken was so thrilled!  He insisted that Bruce give him a copy of this photo to take back home to show all his friends. The rest of the visit he kept saying " that was quite an experience going to that baseball game."  


I'm pretty sure it was an experience he will remember.  We all had a great time and Bruce and I were so happy to share one of our favorite pastimes with his dad.  Safeco Field is practically our home-away-from-home.


Our final birthday celebration for Ken was dinner at Salty's on his last night here.  (We went there last year for our anniversary celebration since it is right in our neighborhood and one of our favorites)


We even picked up an extra guest, Dean, from Illinois, who was in town working with Bruce visiting some job sites. He has worked with the Bratney Company for 20 years and knows Ken well.  It was his first visit to Seattle and he also was thoroughly enjoying his visit.  Salty's gave us the best table in the place with a view on two sides, along with birthday balloons, of course.  It wouldn't be complete without their signature Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse Cake for a complimentary birthday treat.  



The surprises just kept coming.  But really, I think Ken's favorite time visiting us was just sitting out in the sun on the deck watching all the Seattle activity - especially the airplanes flying by.




I hope he will want to return next year for another Seattle birthday celebration.




Comments

  1. Reminds me a little bit of Grandpa and Grandma's condo in Kona. Sitting out on the deck with an elevated view of the water, watching the activity, eating pupus, and drinking maitais. No wonder Grandpa loved his visit to your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, those were the days. A small payback for all the wonderful times at the Kona condo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had