Skip to main content

Lemon Cake


This is a cake recipe that has been around for decades and we use to make it growing up. It's that easy and it's a snap to make, too.  That's why I thought about making it for Easter dessert because I did not have a lot of time for a dinner. We had just returned from New Orleans Saturday night and Easter was Sunday.  Lauren and Ari were coming over for dinner and wanted to know "the plans".  Unfortunately, I didn't really have any "plans".  I had a frozen lamb roast that I bought before we left so I thawed that out.  Then I made quick versions of a previous Easter menu and we had a delicious Easter meal very quickly.  The only difference was I bought hot cross buns at the grocery store from a local bakery which were delicious

and I bought some Jordan almonds to decorate since I hadn't gotten any Easter decorations out of the attic because we were gone.  It was all very simple but effective and we had a lovely meal. 


And for cocktails, we had Pimm's Cup since we still had New Orleans on our mind.  



Pimm's Cup is a very Southern drink and were on lots of the menus there.  I love them.




In fact, all of the drinks were incredible there, like this one called 5 Towers made with tequila, ancho reyes ancho chile liqueur, lime juice and grapefruit juice.



It was so smooth and went down easy.  This was at a place called Cafe Amelie in the French Quarter. 




It was so quaint with it's outdoor patio/garden area and fountain.





It was just so typical New Orleans. 





I went to New Orleans because Bruce had a trade show there


so two of my sister's flew in to join us.  (Just couldn't pass up a fun few days in New Orleans!) While Bruce was at his trade show, Jolene and I waited for Barbara to arrive the first day at Amelie's.  It was a perfect spot, too.  We ordered some shrimp and grits which were unbelievably delicious.




We also ordered some gumbo which was equally spectacular.   They brought the bowl with a little bit of rice in it, then poured the hot pot of gumbo over it.  Superb!  We immediately loved New Orleans.




Our hotel was right on Bourbon Street 



so we were right in the heart of the party scene and soon we were in the mood.


Our first dinner was at a restaurant called Bayona which was very gourmet.  


Their chef, Susan Spicer, is in the James Beard Who's Who of America Food and Beverage.  I liked the way the table greeted us as we sat down.



I ate sweetbreads for the first time here.  Of course, the way they made them, they were deliciously fried with some tasty sauces.

 
The next morning we walked over to Brennan's for breakfast which was a couple blocks away.  This is the restaurant where the famous Bananas Foster was first invented.  We didn't order it, however.  There is just so much good food in this city, it's almost overwhelming.  We started off with the most delicious Mimosas made with strawberry puree instead of orange juice.  I want to make these at home, they were so good. 




Our meals varied from eggs and grits to eggs benedict, all which were amazing.




Of course, Irish coffee with our dessert


that was pecan cake with candied spice bacon.  It was breakfast, after all.



After breakfast we took the streetcar to the World War II Museum which is the best in the country.





There are a lot of other museums here but since it was Spring Break, it was all very crowded unfortunately. 



Bruce and I decided to head back to the French Quarter, passing through Lafayette Square.



We did all the usual sightseeing, similar to our last visit here three years ago; like Jackson Square


and Cafe Du Monde.  We never could get any beignets here because the lines were always so long.(Spring Break) This is a probably the biggest tourist attraction in the city. 



We got our beignets at another place near our hotel called, of all places - Cafe Beignet.


Beignet is a French term for pastry that is like an English fritter.  They are very popular within the New Orleans creole cuisine and a must-eat if you visit New Orleans.  And we did.  Our second dinner was at NOLA, one of Chef Emeril's restaurants from the Food Network.

I had good old fashioned Southern fried chicken, greens and macaroni and cheese that really hit the spot.

Again, a very lovely restaurant and lots to look at and watch.


The next day we took the streetcar to the Garden District for more sightseeing.


.

We walked around Audubon Park which was similar to our local Green Lake


except there was lots of Spanish moss in the trees. I just love seeing Spanish moss.


Pretty soon it was noon and time for drinks and lunch!

Bruce knew this park because he played golf here during our last visit and remembered a lovely restaurant at the ninth hole so to the ninth hole we headed.

It was a lovely spot indeed.

One of the items we ordered was the Cajun Boudin Balls.  They were fried with meatloaf-like filling.  Very yummy.
After lunch we headed back to the streetcar and rode to the part of the Garden District where all the historical mansions are.  We did our own little walking tour.  

I just love looking at old houses.


How do you like this cornstalk fence? I loved it. A Colonel lived here with his wife who was homesick for her home in the Midwest so they built this cornstalk fencing to remind her of home.


The house isn't too shabby, either.
Our last dinner was in the Garden District at another outstanding restaurant called  Upperline Restaurant.  Another place I would highly recommend.  The bread pudding was exquisite.   



We shall return to this wonderful city called New Orleans.


I was tired after all this fun in New Orleans which is why I needed a quick, easy Easter dinner.  I thawed out the lamb roast and stuck some garlic into it, cooked some mushroom orzo and frozen asparagus from Trader Joe's.  Then, I decided to make this lemon cake for dessert because it is also an easy recipe and lemon is perfect for Spring. Plus, I need to re-copy this recipe, as you can see, the original, written by my mom, is getting old.  




1 pkg. lemon velvet cake
1 pkg. lemon jello, dry
4 unbeaten eggs
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil

1.   Mix cake mix and jello together.



2.  Add oil, water and eggs. Mix thoroughly.


3.  Pour into  an ungreased 8 X 12-inch pan.


4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.  Make frosting while cake is baking.


Frosting

1 pkg. powdered sugar (one 1-pound box, 16 ounces or 3-1/2 cups)
5 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice   (strain juices)
pinch of salt

5.  When cake is done, remove from oven and while hot punch holes down to bottom of pan all over the cake about 1/2 inch apart. Pour frosting over top of cake.




6.  Cover cake after it is cool.  This is better the second day.  Happy Easter!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had