Skip to main content

Anniversary Celebration - 34 Years and Counting



Yesterday, was our 34th wedding anniversary and believe it or not, the original celebration happened just blocks away from where we live now in West Seattle. Bruce lived with roommates in a house they rented and that's where we had our reception. It was a very fun time. We flew off to Hawaii the next day for our honeymoon. Now, we are back living in West Seattle. We rode our bikes right by that house the other evening and just stared at it for awhile. We just can't believe it has been 34 years. But it has, so we might as well celebrate! We went down to Salty's for an elegant dinner and celebration which is only blocks from our house.



Salty's is known for it's seafood and views so we thoroughly enjoyed our evening.


We are currently living with minimum house and kitchen supplies since we are only in phase two of moving so a well put together meal is tasting real good.  Our meals are currently consisting of barbecuing out on the deck which isn't necessarily bad. 







So, last night's meal, a non-barbecued meal, was wonderful.  I had the King salmon (we have a ton of it in our freezer in Idaho and I miss eating it) with roasted kale which actually tasted really good.  I loved the kale.


Bruce had the special which was halibut with saffron rice.  It was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.  The best.



We had no complaints about this meal whatsoever, totally delicious.  We didn't get any appetizers because we had ridden our bikes down to Alki beach earlier in the day 


and stopped in at Cactus to start off our celebrating, along with guacamole and chips, of course.  I loved their cucumber and watermelon margarita, really hit the spot.



And, of course, the views were lovely, as always.


Before riding our bikes to Alki, we walked up to the West Seattle Grand Parade which was the first Seafair parade I've been to in at least 17 years so it was a nostalgic treat.



My favorite, of course, are the Seafair pirates.  You can hear them coming a mile away, as rowdy and unruly as ever.



They are still riding Moby Duck and scraping their swords on the street to scare everyone. 


One came up to a little girl next to us and said "I remember you from last year!  Urrrrrggg!"  They still look as real and scary as ever, too.



And the Seafair clowns are also a favorite.



There are too many funny ones to list them all.



The parade lasted 1-1/2 hours, starting with the usual motorcycle drill team from the  Seattle Police Department, lights and sirens blaring.  So loud.  Don't let your feet dangle over the curb for this one.




The Vancouver, B.C. police motorcycle drill team followed doing their routine, too.  All were very loud and impressive.



The Chinese Drill Team is still marching with their gorgeous uniforms with pheasant feather headpieces.  



So many of the usual parade entries from years ago, it really hasn't changed that much...I think I got it out of my system now.  I'm really eager for the Blue Angels to come when they do their air show over the city (really over Lake Washington but you can see them all over the city) and basically all life stops when they preform.  
Traffic especially stops...no need to say more about that.  But I will - they close the I-90 floating bridge (the main east to west freeway that connects Seattle to the Eastside) when the Blue Angels practice (for safety reasons) and then again when they preform. Here's what you have to know if you live in Seattle during the Blue Angels visit:


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I-90 BRIDGE CLOSURE INFORMATION FOR 2015 SEAFAIR WEEKEND U.S. NAVY BLUE ANGELS PERFORMANCES

SEATTLE, WA - The Washington State Department of Transportation will close all lanes of Interstate 90 across Lake Washington several times from Thurs., July 30 - Sun., Aug. 2, to accommodate air show practices and performances by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels for this year’s Seafair festivities.

By closing I-90, WSDOT is complying with Federal Aviation Administration rules to create a safer environment for drivers and Blue Angels pilots by reducing distractions to both.

The closure times are listed below. They include all mainline I-90 lanes between Interstate 5 in Seattle and Island Crest Way on Mercer Island, and the entire length of the I-90 Express Lanes. Also, the bridge will be closed to all pedestrians and bicyclists up to 30 minutes prior to posted closure times.

WSDOT reminds pedestrians that the on-ramps from East Mercer Way and West Mercer Way are currently construction zones. Pedestrians accessing viewing areas from these locations should use extreme caution and not enter areas protected by barricades or traffic barrels.

The exits from westbound I-90 to Island Crest Way and East Mercer Way on Mercer Island will remain open, although drivers should note that heavy congestion during these closures restricts access to the exits.

The listed times are for mainline I-90 closures. Drivers are reminded that the I-90 Express Lanes will close at 9 a.m. on Thurs., and 10:45 a.m. Fri. - Sun. The lanes will reopen by 3:30 p.m. all four days. The following ramps can be expected to close 30 minutes prior to posted closures depending on congestion: East Mercer Way to West I- 90, 76th Ave. SE to West I-90, West Mercer Way to West I-90, East I-90 to West Mercer Way, I-5 north and southbound to eastbound I-90, the Rainier Avenue ramps to eastbound I-90, Island Crest Way to westbound I-90.


Thurs., July 30
(Two separate bridge closures, during which pilots will practice maneuvers and become familiar with area geography)
First Closure: 9:45 a.m.-12 p.m., Second Closure: 1:15 p.m. – 2:40 p.m.


Fri., July 31- 11:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m. (practice show) Sat., Aug. 1- 11:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m. (full show)


Sun., Aug. 2 – 11:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m. (full show)

Drivers who want to ensure they can cross the lake using I-90 should drive across Lake Washington at least one hour before the announced closure times. No stopping or parking is allowed on the floating bridges. 

We plan on just staying put on our deck for the four days they are in town.  From past years, we remember that the practices are just as fun to watch.  When they first arrive on Thursday, it's also very exciting because you can hear them flying into town, landing at Boeing Field, which we have a good view from our house.  On Sunday before the show, we have gone down to Boeing Field and watched the pilots get into their planes, all in exact formation.  They march out onto the field as precise as they fly. It is so amazing to watch.  Everything about the Blue Angels is amazing and Seattle LOVES them.  It will be the highlight of the summer in 2 weeks. 

For now, we will continue our July celebrations.  Next week is Lauren's birthday which in the past was always the hottest weekend of the year.  Interesting.  Seattle has been having heat waves this year since June.  It was never this hot 17 years ago when we lived here.  Global warming, I guess.  We also received complimentary anniversary cake at Salty's last night which was really nice, their World Famous White Chocolate Mousse Cake. We loved it.



Once again, we can't believe it has been 34 years but I guess it has so that is definitely reason to celebrate.  To many more ahead.




(taken with my new "selfie stick" Lauren gave me for my birthday)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had