Skip to main content

Vejer and the White Hill Towns of Spain



Over the weekend, we headed south where Bruce and Nick wanted to played golf and where we could see the Rock of Gibraltar that I showed in my last post here.  


It was perfect timing because we escaped a heat wave and it was nice and cool at the Bay of Gibraltar.  Below is a photo during our drive back north with Africa behind us and the Strait of Gibraltar. 



Nick made reservations for dinner at a quaint little hill town that we passed call Vejer de la Frontera and it turned out to be the most wonderful time yet.  



Vejer has very strong Moorish roots and has a very distinct Moroccan (and Greek Island) flavor to it. How can you NOT love that!   The Moors were muslims and lived in Spain for 800 years until they were forced out for political and religious reasons in 1492.   They resettled in Northern Africa but you can still see their mark in much of Spain from the remains of their mosques, architecture, art, sophisticated irrigation systems that they expanded and improved upon from the Romans, and their whitewashed villages.  The towns with "de la Frontera" in their names were established on the front line of the centuries-long fight to recapture Spain from the Muslims.  There are probably about half a dozen hill towns in Spain worth visiting so we were lucky that Vejer was on our route.  Most of them are further inland in Spain. We loved strolling the quaint little alley-way streets of the town while we killed time before our dinner reservations at 7:30pm.





                     

The town was pretty quiet at this time.  Like I said before, most people in Spain do not eat dinner until at least 9:00pm.  Here is a photo of us at the town square around 6:30pm when we first arrived in town. 



And here is the town square after we ate dinner at around 9:30pm when everyone was out and eating dinner.  It was quite the bustling place. 



                
Nick has visited this town once before, as it's only 45 minutes from his house.  But he had never eaten at the Moroccan restaurant here called El Jardin Del Califa which he'd heard about from co-workers so this was his chance - good old mom and dad visiting!  We sat outside at a sidewalk cafe while we waited for the restaurant to open at 7:30pm.
                

Bruce and Nick always enjoy a nice cold beer and the server automatically brought out a dish of Spanish olives.  I ordered Moroccan green tea that I've had at Moroccan restaurants before and love it.  It's like the southern sweet tea we drink in the south except it is hot and only slightly sweetened. 
           
                  

Moroccan tea is a combination of green tea, spearmint and/or peppermint tea and a little sugar.  It's a perfect combination and so refreshing. 


Once we got inside the restaurant, we discovered that it had a really nice courtyard with tables to sit but in order to get to it you had to wind around corridors with very steep, uneven stairs (very common in Europe), very low head clearance with multiple levels.  It's a hill town remember?  So everything is built on a slope.  I bumped my head a few times getting to our table so you can imagine how Nick felt being 6'5".  I think he's use to it, tho.  But once we got there it was so wonderful. 



                      

Here is a shot of an indoor table on another level that looked so cozy with candles around it. 



I immediately ordered another Moroccan green tea.  I just love how it is presented.  



I ordered a traditional Moroccan dish called tagine made with meat and dried fruit; mine was with slow-cooked lamb and dates but the dates were cooked so they were just part of the sauce which wasn't lumpy so you couldn't even tell there were dates in it.  They just added to the flavor of the sauce.  They had about 6-8 types of tagine on their menu. I'm a very happy person right now...


Moroccan dishes use a lot of spices like cinnamon and cardamon but in small amounts so the flavoring is very subtle.  All you know is that you want to lick the plate to get every last bite.   They prepare tagine in a special terra cotta-type dish like this.  ( Bruce and Nick helped me finish up my dish after they finished licking their plates...)


The dish for tagine is also made by placing a lid such as these over the dish for it to cook.  Mine had a bread top sort of like pie crust over it.  I don't know if this is a different version or what.  I have a lot to learn about Moroccan cooking but all I know is that I like it. 


After dinner we walked around the town more and suddenly there were a lot more people out.  The heat of the day was over, siesta time was over and everyone comes out.  The sun was setting and everything was lite up that made it look even more spectacular.


I'm not sure which I like better; the day or the night.  All I know is that it was hard for us to leave this magical place. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had