Skip to main content

Greek-Style Shrimp Skillet with Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta



I've made this recipe twice already this month (and there's only been 3 days in May...!) so I thought I better post it. I got it from the Seattle Times last week and decided to try it out and I'm glad I did. It was so good that I invited my sister and her husband over for dinner and made it again the next day.  It's a perfect dish to have with guests over because it will totally impress them and it did.  The funny thing is that my sister saw the recipe in the newspaper, too, so she was delighted to come over and try it out.  This recipe is from a cookbook called The Complete Book of Greek Cooking and was originally called Shrimp Scorpio from the Recipe Club of Saint Paul's Greek Orthodox Cathedral. The book, published in 1990 and still available, is full of dozens of homestyle Greek recipes. This recipe is brimming with nourishing ingredients, too, like spinach and has all at the Mediterranean flavors we love. It really is a true winner.

I am slowly getting back into venturing out to try some new recipes again after two months of eating comfort foods from saying goodbye to Nick, Sachiyo and the grandkids.  They have begun their adventures of moving to Spain for Nick's job.  And so our life of being long-distance grandparents begins.  We have managed to stay busy which helps a lot.   Baseball season has started so we've been to four Mariner games including Opening Day which was very exciting and it’s always good to see all our baseball-fan friends again. Last  weekend, we drove up north to see the tulips blooming in the Skagit Valley which is a popular thing to do around here. That was a good dose of the outdoors and filled us with the wonders of Mother Nature; always good medicine.  


We just have to keep doing things like that to lift our spirits.  It will take awhile to get use to this new life with no little munchkins running around the house.  We keep finding little toys laying here and there that keep reminding us of them.  Then it's off to eat more comfort food.  But this recipe is a good sign that I'm starting to feel a little bit more myself since I'm venturing out from my comfort food cocoon. And this is the perfect recipe to venture out with. Try it, you'll like it. 

Makes 4 servings

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion (1 cup), diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
One (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
1/4 tsp. fine salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2. cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1-1/4 pounds shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled, deveined and tails removed
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
2-1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
Cooked orzo or rice, or crusty bread, for serving 

1.  Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

2.  In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering.  Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. 


3.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 more seconds.



4.  Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and bring to a lively simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and saucy, about 10 minutes. 


5.  Stir in the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute, then remove the skillet from the heat.


6.  Stir in the shrimp and herbs, top with the feta cheese and transfer in the oven.


7.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through.   Let rest for 5 minutes, then taste and season with additional salt and/or pepper, if desired.

Serve with cooked orzo, rice or crusty bread to sop up the juices.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had