Skip to main content

Spaghetti Squash with Lentil Tomato Sauce


Today, I made a recipe that will give me some variety for eating squash.  I've never been a big squash fan probably because I never seem to find a squash that is sweet.  Spaghetti squash is one that usually has no taste to me but it's always substituted for pasta for those avoiding carbs or gluten which I've never been a fan of.  I have tried it with spaghetti sauce and even ate it last weekend when we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner with the grandkids.  But again, I'm not a real fan.  Give me real pasta, please!  But I admit, I did like this recipe which is a spaghetti/spaghetti sauce substitute and I would definitely make this again.   This is such a good carb recipe that I would actually use it as a vegetable side dish, too.  The sauce really jazzes up the bland squash.  I made it for lunch today and ended up eating two helpings it was so good.  The sauce has lentils and spinach in it so it is super healthy and full of fiber from the lentils and really flavorful. The sauce is simple to make but I made the lentils ahead of time, even though they only take 15 minutes to cook.  I also made the squash ahead of time since it takes more time to cook.  I've been craving carbs lately because of the change of weather and I've found that this squash satisfies my carb-craving, along with my usual pinto beans that I try to eat everyday.  (I boil dry pinto beans and keep them in the fridge, then I take some out everyday and make homemade refried beans with grated cheese, usually with scrambled eggs and salsa.  This is super filling and satisfies my carb-carving, along with my dark chocolate that I'm eating A LOT lately).  I think I will make this squash recipe with other types of squash beside spaghetti squash, too.  There are so many in the grocery store right now, I really want to eat them when I see them but like I said before, I've just never been a big squash fan.  I think this recipe has changed my mind. What type shall I try next?  This is a Hannah Freese, RD recipe who is trying to help us girls repair our broken metabolism that sugar/white carbs are the main culprits. Squash and legumes, such has beans and lentils, are my savior this time of year when I'm craving carbs.  What's a girl to do?  Make squash with lentil tomato sauce.  I will turn this into another go-to carb recipe to get me through this long, cold, lonely, carb-craving winter.  Try it, you'll like, too.   

Makes 4 servings 

1 spaghetti squash, large
1-1/2 tsp olive oil
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 cups crushed tomatoes, canned
1 cup dry red lentils, cooked  ( I used green lentils...)  Cook according to package instructions)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
2 cups baby spinach, chopped

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degree F and line a baking sheet with  parchment paper.

2.  Carefully slice the spaghetti squash in half through it's belly and discard the seeds.  Place the two halves onto the baking sheet, then brush the flesh with olive oil, and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.  Turn the squash flesh side down onto the baking sheet and bake or 40 minutes. 

3.  Meanwhile, combine the crushed tomatoes, cooked lentil, garlic, seas salt, black pepper, and dried basil in a pot over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer.


4.  Once simmering, add the spinach and stir just wilted.  Turn off the heat. 


5.  Remove at the spaghetti squash from the oven.  Let cool slightly before carving out the flesh.  

6.  Divide the spaghetti squash into four portions and spoon vegetable tomato sauce over top.  Enjoy right away or let cool completely before covering and storing in the fridge.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had