Skip to main content

Banana Cake



This is sort of a random recipe that I wasn't planning to post but my family all loved it so much that I knew it was a keeper.  I got the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction at the spur of the moment when my 4-year-old grandson decided at the last minute he wanted a banana cake for his birthday. The only difference between my recipe and the original recipe is that I made my cake into a layered cake instead of putting it in a 9” X 13" pan...you know, to get that traditional birthday cake look

and to get that birthday cake look that's decorated by a 6-year-old and 4-year-old.



I also made Beatty's Chocolate Cake for Lauren, the same cake I made to celebrate all five of the July birthdays last year.   

This year, we all got individual celebrations and cakes.  How lucky is that?  

                


                 

You can safely say that we all got our fill of cake last month.  Not that I'm complaining at all.  Cake is one of my weaknesses so I was happy to make an additional banana cake to go along with the chocolate cake.  It ended up being served like this: a slice of each cake on top of each other with a little bit of ice cream.  Smart idea since everybody knows how good chocolate and banana go together. 



The banana cake got a hands-down, the best cake.  I was so surprised because Beatty's Chocolate Cake is hard to beat.  I think my family just liked having something new and different but after years of preparing food for my family, when they say something is good, I know they are serious.  

Between birthday celebrations, Bruce and I also had our 41st wedding anniversary celebration last month - like I said before, July is a nonstop month for us.  We went on a little getaway to the Olympic Peninsula (rainforest) and stayed at a historic lodge called the  Lake Quinault Lodge that was built in 1926.  There is a lot of history there and we loved all the outdoor activities and beautiful surroundings.   




It was a great getaway especially now that I can once again do activities that I could not do before my joint replacement surgeries.  Seriously, I had no idea those surgeries would change my life so much.  I was so absorbed in my rehab and how hard it all was, I couldn't even think about ever getting to this point.  But I am definitely thinking about it now. This summer has really opened my eyes to the amazing effect those surgeries have had on my body.  In June, we went to Montana for a wedding and it was the first time in decades that I ever rode a horse. It would hurt my knees so bad when I'd ride Lauren's horse in Idaho.  I figured it was the angle of your legs when you sit on a horse.  I loved horseback riding but because of the knee pain, I could never ride very long.    I was so hesitant when everyone was trail riding in Montana but the first time I went, I couldn't believe it.  No pain at all.  I could even hoist myself up on the horse all by myself (without those embarrassing steps they pull up for the old people...) and swing my leg around the horse.  I'm sure it's because I still do my exercises and I am the strongest I've been...well...in decades.  When we went to the Olympic Peninsula, we once again rode horses on the beach where we stopped briefly on the drive over there.  

                                

I really can't get enough of it now.  We went on three different hikes and also went kayaking.  I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to get in or out of a kayak before those surgeries. 

                     


I turned 67 years old on my birthday last month but in reality, I feel younger than I have in a long time.  I can't even be sad about getting older this year because I feel so good.  I feel like my body has been transformed and my old self is back again and its a wonderful feeling to have.  I dreaded those surgeries so much.   I wrote about it here when I finally came to terms with myself that I had to do it.  It was a long process for me to accept it.  But that's how I am.  I have to "process" things a long time before I finally accept it.  The good thing is that once I finally accept what I have to do, I am really good at giving it my best shot to succeed at it.  I just need to understand why I need to do it.  My doctor was so patient with me and understanding at convincing me that she could change my life.  And she was so right about it all.  There are so many people I could not have gotten to this place without them.  If I could have known back in 2019 how I would be now in 2022, I would say back then that I was giving me the best birthday present to myself that I could ever imagine.  It's just that it would take three years to accomplish it, that's all. So, this is my birthday present to myself.

Now, go eat cake.


                                                                    Banana Cake

3 large ripe bananas
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature


                                                              Cream Cheese Frosting


8 ounces full-fat block cream cheese, soften to room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar, plus an extra 1/4 cup, if needed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt

1.   Preheat oven to 350 degree F. and grease two 9" round cake pans or a 9" X 13" pan.

2.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together .  Set aside. 


3.  Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy - about 1 minute.  



4.  Add both the sugars and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together.  Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula, as needed.



5.  Add the eggs and the vanilla.  Beat on medium-high speed until combined, then beat in the mashed bananas.  


6.  With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk and mixing each addition just until incorporated.  Do not overmix.  The batter will be slightly thick and a few lumps is O.K. 



7.  Spread batter into the prepared pan.  


8.  Bake for 45 -50 minutes.  The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  If you find the cake is browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.  

9.  Remove the cake from the oven and set on a wire rack.  Allow to cool completely.  

To make the frosting:

1.  In a large bowl using a stand mixer fitted with paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed until smooth and creamy.

2.  Add 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt.  Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.  If you want the frosting a little thicker, add the extra 1/4 cup of confectioners' sugar. 

3.  Spread the frosting on the cooled cake.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.  This helps the frosting set and makes cutting easier.  

4.  Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for 5 days. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had