Skip to main content

Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken and Bean Stew


I've been feeling like Tex-Mex food ever since I returned from my trip to Sedona last weekend.  My friend, Marge, and I took this trip as a restorative trip because of the loss of her mom and her husband recently.  It's been tough for her the past few months so we knew we needed to take this trip and we're so glad we did.  The Red Rock Country, where Sedona is located in Arizona, is known to have a very healing effect on people so that's why we headed there.  Nature is always good for the soul and the nature in Sedona is over the top.  The natural beauty is in every direction that you might look. 







As if the natural beauty there wasn't enough, Sedona is also known for it's vortexes or spiritual "power spots".  This is where the energy of the life force of the earth is especially strong and they are all over the place in Sedona.  These are places that help you become more in touch with your feelings and find inner peace and solace.   There are four main areas where the force is especially strong and we hit at least three of them but people say they can be almost everywhere in Sedona.  


Regardless, we definitely felt the powers that be.  By the end of the week, we were both so relaxed, calm and at peace.  We decided that the vortexes absolutely did work for us.  Here we are at our favorite vortex, Red Rock Crossing with Cathedral Rock in the background next to the Oak Creek River. 



The first day we hit upon the vortex at Chapel of the Holy Cross, a catholic church built into the rocks of Sedona where Marge lite candles for both her husband and mom.  It was a very emotional moment, for sure. 




The third vortex we went to was at Airport Overlook that is the most popular and where hundreds of people go daily to see the sunset, including us...but the sunsets are so gorgeous in Sedona, it was worth it.  



       
    

We did take one side trip during the week to Winslow, Arizona because we are both fans of the band, the Eagles, and their most famous song, "Take It Easy".  Need I say more?


Lyrics
Well, I'm running down the road
Tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven women on my mind
Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine
Take it easy
Take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
Drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
And take it easy
Well, I'm standing on a corner
In Winslow, Arizona
And such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love
Is gonna save me
We may lose, and we may win
Though we will never be here again
So open up, I'm climbin' in
So take it easy
Well, I'm running down the road
Trying to loosen my load
Got a world of trouble on my mind
Lookin' for a lover
Who won't blow my cover
She's so hard to find
Take it easy
Take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
Make you crazy
Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love
Is gonna save me
Oh, we got it easy
We oughta take it easy

They even had the flatbed ford there.


We both loved Winslow.  It was a 1-1/2 hour drive of beautiful scenery and lots of dessert; we felt like Thelma and Louise with Marge's Eagle playlist blasting away with all our favorite songs.  And we mustn't forget retail therapy.  We got lots of that on this trip, including in Winslow, which was even better than in Sedona because each store had the Eagles playing in the background.  How can you not love that? 


Winslow just put us in a really good mood for so many reasons. 


I am cooking more pinto beans as I write this so I can make refried beans or some other Mexican dish because I still want it!  This trip will stay with us both a long time.  Since we've been home, we keep texting each other about some aspect of our trip.  Is it lingering with us because of the power of the vortexes?  Because of the nature and hiking around all that natural beauty?  Because of the warm weather and effects of the sun?  Because of the retail therapy?  Or is it because I was able to spend time reminiscing with my best friend all the old times we've spent together over the past 50 years?  Whatever the reason, it feels good.  I am going to continue my diet of Tex-Mex food this week and keep thinking of our journey last week as we were running down the road tryin' to loosen our load.

Serves 4


1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1-1/2 cups mild or medium salsa
2 Tbsp. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese or avocado, for garnish

1.  Rinse chicken, pat dry and season with salt and pepper.  


2.  Place beans, salsa, chiles and 1 cup water in the slow cooker.   Arrange chicken on top of bean mixture. 


3.  Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken. 



4.  Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.  

5.  Transfer chicken from slow cooker to a large cutting board and shred chicken with two forks; return to stew. 


6.  Serve with sour cream, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeños, tortilla chips or whatever you desire. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had