Skip to main content

Basil Red Curry Salmon


This is one of the best salmon recipes I've cooked in awhile.  I have a lot of salmon recipes on this blog but I think this is one of my favorites so far from  Hannah Freese, RD.   We actually had this recipe twice because I had so much of the sauce leftover so we saved it and then had it again with salmon a few days later.  And we still did not get tired of it.  It's the kind of recipe that you'll lick your plate to make sure you get all the sauce.  It is made from this Thai red curry paste so the recipe is very simple when you use this pre-made curry paste. 

                       

I get it at Target, believe it or not.  I started doing online shopping at Target for a few items during "year one" of the pandemic.  I love shopping this way because all you do is walk into the store, go to the pick-up counter, show your I.D. and your bag is handed to you.  It is so easy.  Now I get lots of things at Target including this Thai red curry paste. 

I've gotten to be such a lazy shopper since the pandemic.  I'm not sure I'll ever go back to shopping the old way.  The whole idea of shopping for clothes by going into a dressing room and trying clothes on sounds so exhausting to me.  I much prefer ordering online and trying them on in the comforts of my own home where I can switch out all my different shoes, tops, jackets, etc. that I already have to see how the new item looks.  I call it "shopping my closet".  I make sure that I only shop online at places where I can physically return what I ordered.  I hate packing up stuff and mailing them off for returns.  At least Amazon makes it easy and most things you just take it "as is" to a UPS store, hand it to them, they scan your code and you're done (they pack it for you).  It's a lot more efficient and you get your refund faster.   With clothes, it's hard not knowing what the fabric is like or how it will fit but I'm getting a lot better at it.  Nordstrom is by far the easiest place to shop online.  They don't care what, when, why, or how you return ANYTHING!  I love it!  And they are so fast that you rarely wait in line nor do they make mistakes.  It makes it hard to shop anywhere else, quite honestly.  I love it so much I shop for Lauren, too.  Remember her birthday here?   I gave her a custom-made (by me) Stitch Fix box from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (her birthday is always during the sale).  She doesn't like shopping so I'm happy to do it for her.  I've done this a few more times for Christmas, too, and she always loves the stuff I get her.  Now I need to be careful because even though Nordstrom makes returns a breeze, with Lauren, I don't often return that much because she usually loves everything I get for her and that can add up fast!  $$$$$$

Now, back to the recipe.  They sell this Thai red curry paste at all the grocery stores so it's easy to find.  I use it in several other recipes on this blog, too.  They also sell a Thai green curry paste.  It works great for a quick Thai dish at home.  Since they are saying that the pandemic is basically over and everything is opening back up, it's easy to go out to get your Thai food fix but if you're like me and have developed new habits like online shopping, you might be use to eating at home instead of always going out.  Well, it is possible to get your Thai food fix at home and I would highly recommend it with this recipe.  

Serves 3

10 oz. salmon fillet (boneless)
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp. shallot, peeled, finely chopped
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 -1/2 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste
1 red hot chili pepper, chopped or 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 -3/4 cup canned coconut milk
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 cup Thai basil, chopped

1.  Season the salmon with salt and pepper and set aside.

2.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add half the oil.  Add the salmon, skin side up and sear for one minute.  Remove and set aside.

3.  In the same skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and drizzle in the remaining oil.  Add the shallot and ginger and cook for one to two minutes, until softened and fragrant.  Then add the garlic, red curry paste, and chili pepper or flakes.  Cook for another one minute, stirring often. 



4.  Pour in the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice.  Bring to a simmer. 


5.  Cook for six to eight minutes, until the salmon is cooked to your preference.  

6.  Divide salmon onto plates and top with Thai basil and garnish with extra lime wedges.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had