Skip to main content

Halloween Jack-O-Lantern Oranges




Happy Halloween!  After a pandemic Halloween last year, I hope you were able to make up for it this year.  We did!  Our Halloween was such a whirlwind of excitement because the grandkids are at a perfect age of 3 and 5 and are starting to get the drift of what this is all about.  


We actually "practiced" Halloween before the big day so as not to overwhelm them. We got out the candy and started practicing "trick-or-treating" so they understood what it's all about.  I would hide behind a door, like in the bathroom or a closet, and they would come up and knock.  Then I would open the door and they would say "trick-or-treat!" and I'd give them some candy to put in their bags.  Or I would let them take candy and put it in their bags.  They LOVED playing that game and I ended up hiding behind every door in the house.  We've answered the door on Halloween before when little kids just stand there and don't know what to do while the parents are standing behind them coaxing them to say "trick-or-treat".  So, I knew practicing it would help but I didn't realize what a fun game it would turn out to be!  They slept over at our house the night before so we could get a good start on Halloween.  We started by going to our local business district, called The Junction, where all the businesses were giving out candy.  

                    

                   

We had a blast. The kids were pros at it and it was so fun looking at everyone's costumes.



Some costumes were a little scary for them since a lot of people go all out in that department. 



But for the most part, they loved it.  The neighborhood Farmer's Market was also going on so there was a lot happening.  Breakfast anyone?  All the food looks so yummy. 


After 4-5 blocks of "trick-or-treating" and buckets full of candy, we stopped for some lunch at one of our favorite spots, Coastline Burgers.  Eating something that wasn't sweet tasted pretty good. 


Eventually, we made it home where the rest of our family joined us for dinner. Lauren brought these super cute Halloween Jack-O-Lantern oranges that I definitely want to share on my blog.  


She filled them with fruit for little individual fruit bowls to go along with tacos that we had for dinner.  I made my favorite Baked Tacos for the adults but then also regular tacos for the kids to make their own along with some cheese quesadillas that they really like.  These little Jack-O-Lantern oranges were such a perfect little addition to our Halloween table decor and the kids loved them, too.  Here is a professional picture of them taken from Pinterest. 

After dinner, you can use them to put out on the porch as part of your Halloween decorations for Trick-or-Treater by putting tealight candles in them. 

I love all of the cute little expressions that Lauren made on their faces.  To make these, just scoop out the inside of the oranges and save the context for smoothies or whatever.  It will be mushy and messy but it still tastes good.  Use an X-Acto knife, such as this one here, to carve out the faces using different expressions, whatever you like.  Lauren said it was very easy to do once you know what expression you want to carve out.  Fill them with small fruits such as berries, kiwi, grapes, etc. for an individual fruit bowl.  Once you are done eating, use them again as part of your Halloween decor.  I put them outside on the railing of the porch. 

I was the only one who stayed home to answer the door this year.  First, Lauren took the 5 year-old out but Lauren was a little nervous because she wasn't quite sure how to do trick-or-treating; she hasn't done it in years.  "Anything particular I need to know?"  I told her not to worry because we practiced and the kids know what to do!  Then Bruce and Sachiyo took the 3 year-old out.  Bruce popped back in before too long and told Nick he needed to come out and see all the activity so then he left, too.  Then Lauren came back and said, "Wow, your neighborhood really gets into it!"  There were lots of candy tubes (or called shutes or slides to keep the 6' distance.  A lot of houses here are built up on rockeries because of hills so a candy tube also eliminates the need to climb stairs to get to the door) and the Skeleton Theater was up and running even though it was still a scaled down version.  There were houses with parties going on and they gave "treats" to the adults, too.  Lauren was so impressed.  Eventually everyone made it back home and it was time to play with the loot.

                           

It's almost as fun answering the door as it is going out because of all the kids coming by. Everyone loves looking at the costumes. 

                          

It doesn't get much better than this.  Happy Halloween! 

      




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had