Skip to main content

Pumpkin Chicken Chili



We are finishing up a big pot of my newest favorite chili that I made over the weekend and it happens to be very appropriate for fall.  It's made with pumpkin, sweet potatoes, chicken and white navy beans.  I got the recipe from Heather Christo's blog which is one of my favorite blogs.  She has a lot of food allergies in her family so she cooks with mostly whole, natural foods.  I am following Hannah Freese, RD's diet plan called The Freese Method.  The Freese Method has helped me by eliminating many inflammatory foods; mainly sugar, alcohol and toxic seed oils.  Hannah provides recipes and meal plans but once you learn it, it's easy to find good recipes to add to your collection.  This recipe also uses turmeric, the yellow spice similar to chili powder that works as an anti-inflammatory agent in our bodies - something I am always looking for after two knee replacements and a hip replacement over the past three years.  The sweet potato compliments the spiciness of this recipe which makes it stand out from other chili recipes which is what I like about it.  I had a photo taken of me recently and I thought a similar photo taken 12 years earlier showed a difference in how inflamed I was before The Freese Method.  We took a weekend trip to Nick's college recently where his senior year baseball team of 2009 was inducted into their Hall of Fame, a very prestigious honor.  The ceremony was on Friday evening and then on Saturday, the team was honored during the halftime homecoming football game.  We had our photo taken with Nick.

                    

And here is a similar photo of us in 2009 on senior day.      

                                 

Aside from the baggy mom jeans (which I guess are back in style again...) I think I look puffy and inflamed.   I remember how achy my joints were then and that whole feeling of being overweight.  I still am overweight and have more weight to lose but I feel so physically stronger and much more energetic now.  I can honestly say that I am more healthy at 66 years old than I was at 54 year old.  Being back at that baseball field and remembering those years watching Nick play, the memories of how achy I always felt came flooding back - like trying to maneuver those bleacher seats and steps.   But I did not feel that way at all being back there.  I know my joint replacements have a lot to do with it and all the physical therapy I've had, plus all the exercises and Pilates that I still continue to do.  Remember my New Year's Resolution?  This is my Year of Reformation and when I look at these two photos, I feel like I have achieved this and I never want to go back.  It will be an on-going achievement, though.  I can't stop doing what I'm doing and want to keep improving in my strength and activity.  I have learned exercises from physical therapy and now I've learned the best diet for me.  I am so thankful for finding Hannah Freese, RD who keeps us on track so we can navigate through this crazy world and all that it throws at us.  Here is one more recipe for one more day.  They all add up to a collection of wonderful meals and I hope you enjoy collecting them as much as I do.  Happy Fall! 

Serves 8

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 -15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree
3 -15 oz. cans white navy beans, rinsed and drained
8 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (about 1.5 oz. fresh, raw) 
kosher salt
garnish: avocado and/or fresh chopped cilantro

1.  In a large heavy pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and yellow onion, stirring often and cooking until tender, 5-7 minutes.


2.  Add the carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin; stir to combine.


3.  Add the white beans to the pot and then pour the chicken broth in.


4.  Add the turmeric, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes.  



5.  Stir well and then add the shredded chicken and simmer over low heat with a lid for 30 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. 


6.  Remove the lid and continue to simmer with the lid off for another 10 minutes.  

7.  Season to taste with kosher salt.  

Serve with a nice tossed green salad


and for dessert - the delicious Macadamia Nut Clusters.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had