Skip to main content

Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Coconut-Ginger Sauce

We've made this recipe quite a few times since fall and it keeps getting better each time I make it.  It is originally from Hannah Freese, RD except I've added a few changes like the addition of mushrooms which makes it a little more substantial and adds more liquid for the sauce as the mushrooms cook down.  I only have two other pork chop recipes on my blog and I'm not sure which one I like best.  They are all different so it just depends on what you feel like.  This one is a nice rich and creamy recipe with a Thai flare from the coconut milk, ginger and cilantro.  You can even spice it up more than that by adding a bit of pepper flakes, fish sauce or soy sauce.  Another pork chop recipe is the Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce that I made in October that adds some heat to the chops with a creamy sauce that adds some bite.  The one I made a lot in Idaho was my Plum Good Pork Chops because we always had so many plums around.  I canned plums in the fall so we had plums year around.  If you feel like some fruity pork chops which is often the case in early fall, you can make that recipe.  Bruce and I both agreed that this recipe, with a Thai take on pork chops, would definitely work for serving to guests or for a special occasion, it was that good.  But since we're in the middle of pandemic, I made this recipe for just two people.  Don't wait until you can invite guest over to make it.  Make it now, light some candles for your table and enjoy a delightful, simple, hardy dinner all to yourselves. 

Makes 2 servings

2 pork chops
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup water, divided
1/4 yellow onion, very finely chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp fresh lime juice

For additional flavor, stir in some red pepper flakes, fish sauce, soy sauce or coconut aminos into the sauce. 

1.  Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel and season both sides with the salt and pepper.

                       

2.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the pork chops to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.  Add about 1/4 cup water to pan as it cooks for some added juice to form from the meat. 

3.  Remove pork chops from the pan and cover to keep warm. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, ginger and mushrooms to the same pan.  Cook, stirring continuously, for about a minute until very fragrant.

4.  Add another 1/4 cup water to the pan and scrape any brown bis away from the bottom of the pan.  Stir in the coconut milk. 

5.  Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and let it simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes.  Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.

6.  Put the pork chops back in the pan with the sauce and spoon sauce over pork chops to warm it all up together before serving.  


7. Garnish with additional cilantro.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had