Skip to main content

Pumpkin Bread



Today, I made pumpkin bread and apple crisp.  Can you tell I'm in a fall mood?  Actually, we are having a family dinner at our house tomorrow and I'm preparing a feast of fall food for everyone. In reality, I'm sort of bribing my family with food.  I've sent Nick and Lauren articles from the health experts on covid precautions now that the weather has turned cold and I'm not sure they are going to want to come over after that.  They are saying to avoid large inside gatherings.  Well, we must be inside because of the rain. So, they are saying if you're inside, it should be a well ventilated area like the garage with the garage door open.  Really?  Who wants to be in the garage?!  So, I decided I could actually have my family over if we opened both the French doors and have the ceiling fan on.  That is like having a garage door open but Brrrrrrr!  See why I'm bribing my family with food?  The next question, how large is a large gathering?  The experts say only one other group from outside your household.  Well, there are two different households, Nick and Lauren are both from outside our household and there are a total of seven of us with the grandkids so is that large?  It's not totally complying but pretty close.  Like I said during the summer when we did most things outside, we're doing the best we can.   Bruce tested negative for covid yesterday after a week in quarantine because of traveling to Iowa for his dad's funeral so once again, we are having a huge sigh of relief.   I feel like we've had two close calls of exposure and I don't want to take anymore chances.   If we have to wear our down jackets and be all bundled up this winter in order to get together with our kids, we'll do it!  In the meantime, I'm going to keep making tempting foods to bribe them to come over and we'll just keep our coats on.  

This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen because I like how she makes really large loaves and she uses a lot of spices.  Baking this bread makes the whole house smell magnificent.  

I doubled the recipe and made one loaf with walnuts and one plain.  She sprinkles the top with  cinnamon sugar but I like sprinkling the top with walnuts or pumpkin seeds.   This photo is from my other pumpkin bread recipe that is more hardy with  dates and nuts.  It just depends on what you feel like. 

Since the grandkids are coming over tomorrow, I wanted to make just a plain loaf so this is my favorite recipe for that. 



Make 2 loaves                                                      
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
3  tsp. baking powder                                                    
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda                                               
1-1/2 tsp. fine sea salt or table salt                              
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon                                                      
1/2 tsp. nutmeg                                                            
1/2 tsp. ginger                                                               
1/4 tsp. ground cloves 
1  29-ounce can pumpkin puree (3-1/2 cups)  
3-1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup ( 2 sticks) melted unsalted butter, cooled         
6 large eggs    
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)                                                             
                                        
1.  Adjust oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat to 350 degree F.  Line two 6-cup loaf pans with parchment paper.  I like doing this instead of spraying with nonstick spray or messing with greasing the pan.  It's super easy to remove the loaf from the pan. 


2.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together in a large bowl. 

3.  In another large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, melted butter, and eggs until smooth. 


4.  Gently fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour  mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined.  Fold in the nuts, if using. 

5. Scrape into prepared pan and smooth the top.


(Optional: Sprinkle top with walnuts or pumpkin seeds, as desired.)


6.  Bake bread for 75 minutes, turning the loaf once during the baking time for even coloring,  until a tester poked into all parts of loaf come out batter-free.

7.  You can cool it in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove it or cool it completely in the pan. 











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had