Skip to main content

Chicken Chili with White Beans



This is another recipe that I've adapted from Hannah Freese, RD.  I am still following her Freese Method eating plan and am totally off of sugar now and have lost five pounds.  I'm in week 4 and if you follow her plan, you slowly start losing your craving for sugar and in addition, I now don't even feel that hungry.  I definitely feel more energized and my mind feels a lot more sharp.  For example, when talking with somebody and they can't think of the name of a person or place, I immediately know what they are talking about and I blurt out the name.  Usually, I'm the one who can't think of the right word or name of something.  I've had "brain fog" before when I had thyroid problems so I know what it's like to not be able to think of the right word or a person's name or a place.  Right now, I have the opposite of "brain fog", if there is such a  condition.  I want to say "hyper".  I think it's just because I have a lot of energy right now.  I have a total of 12 weeks to go on this eating plan and I'm really enjoying it.  I love all the recipes so it's not hard to follow.  This recipe tastes like a tortilla soup and Bruce and I loved it.   Normally,  you would break up tortilla chips on top of this but part of this eating plan is to avoid all white carbs so I put avocados on top instead.  (Tortilla chips are actually yellow, but close enough.)  White carbs are not allowed while your metabolism repairs itself in the first 12 weeks which is why the program is called the Freese Method Metabolic Repair Plan.  Once your metabolism is repaired, then you can eat whatever you want 20% of the time, but she recommends following her eating recommendations 80% of the time.  It all makes sense to me and I don't think it will be that hard to do especially if I keep feeling this great. We are eating a lot of soups right now since the weather has changed to fall.   If you feel like a tortilla-type of soup, you might want to try this one.  And it's good nutrition for your metabolism, too.

Serves 4

1 pound chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
2 tsp. olive oil 
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cups chicken broth (divided)
2 cans white navy beans, rinsed (divided)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, chopped
optional:
sliced lime wedges
sliced avocado

1.  Cook chicken ahead of time using a large pot with a lid that you will also use to make the chili in.  You'll want to use the pan drippings from the chicken in the chili.  I like to braise the chicken on medium-low heat with a little water in the pan.  Cook very slowly so lots of meat juice is formed.  Remove meat from the pan to cool. 

2.  Heat oil in the pan along with the pan drippings over medium-high heat and add onion, jalapeño and bell pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.  


4.  While the vegetables are cooking, add half of the broth and half of the beans to a food processor or blender and blend to puree the beans.


4.  Shred the cooled chicken with two forks.  


5.  Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt to the pot of cooked vegetables.  Cook for another minute until fragrant.  


6.  Add the remaining broth, the remaining beans, the pureed beans, the shredded chicken, frozen corn and cilantro to pot.  Stir to combine and season with additional salt, if needed.  


6.  Allow chili to cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.  Divide chili into bowls and serve with a lime wedge or avocado, if desired.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had