Skip to main content

Asian Cabbage Salad


We had a lovely low-key Mother's Day this year due to our "stay-at-home" orders in our state for the coronavirus.  Thankfully, it was 86 degrees so we could sit outside and enjoy the warm evening.  Lauren came over and I marinated a pork tenderloin with my teriyaki marinade and then made this new Asian cabbage salad recipe.



We all loved this recipe, especially the ginger peanut dressing. I got it from a blog called Well Plated by Erin who blogs on healthy, wholesome, from-scratch recipes, the type of recipes I'm always eager to try out. I also loved this recipe because it is so colorful and full of all kinds of healthy vegetables.


I'm trying to make recipes to keep our immune system strong so that includes eating lots of vegetables and this recipe certainly fits that category.  This could actually be a main dish salad by simply adding some grilled chicken breast to it.  I think I will try that next time.  It would also be good for a potluck that you could make ahead of time because the cabbage does not get soggy like a lettuce salad.  In fact, we ate the leftover today and I think it almost tasted better today!  The highlight of Mother's Day was another zoom video chat with the rest of my family yesterday that Lauren organized for us and it went even better than the one on Easter.  However, we had less family members available this time.  I don't think everyone is doing the" stay-at-home" orders anymore like in April.


But I think we will keep doing these family zoom meetings.  Everyone loves doing them and hearing about each's lives and seeing those who are far away like Nick in Japan.  We have to be sure to pick a time that works for everyone since some live on the East coast and then many points in-between.  With this coronavirus effecting everyone's lives, most people are still not doing much except staying home which is why it works so well right now.


One of the topics we talked about was what everyone has been cooking or baking lately which seems to be a popular pastime during these times.  I haven't really cook anything unusual lately, just a variety of different things but I definitely think this cabbage salad recipe is worth saving.  If you're looking for a way to get in your daily serving of veggies, this recipe will definitely do it for you. 

8 side servings or 4 main dish servings

Salad

1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/2 small head green cabbage - finely sliced (about 3 cups)
1/2 small head red cabbage - finely sliced (about 3 cups)
1 medium red bell pepper - very thinly sliced
1 cup shredded carrots - about 2 medium carrots
1 cup frozen shelled edamame - thawed
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
optional:  1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
                 salt and pepper
                 1 Tbsp. olive oil

Dressing

1 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger

1.  Toast almonds:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spread the nuts in a single layer on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet.  Toast for 4 to 6 minutes, until fragrant and crisp.  Toss once halfway through and do not walk away during the last few minutes of cooking.  Immediately remove to a small bowl or plate.

2.  In a large bowl, place the green and red cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, edamame, and cilantro.


3.  In a medium mixing bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients.


4.  Pour enough over the salad to moisten it.  Toss to coat.  Assess the amount of dressing and add more, as desired.

5.  Add almonds and give the salad a final, light toss.  If time allows, let marinate for 30 minutes prior to serving.

Optional:  If salad is the main dish, you can add chicken breasts to add some protein.

1.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.

2.  Heat oil in skillet and fry breasts until lightly browned, about 5 minutes on each side.

3.  Remove chicken from the pan and set aside to cool.

4.  When cool, slice chicken breasts in long, thin slices and add to salad.  Toss to coat with dressing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had