Skip to main content

Chocolate Cake in a Mug


"April Fool's Day is cancelled this year because no made up prank could match the unbelievable shit going on in the world right now"


That's about how I feel now, too.  And today I'm done with healthy recipes.  I know I said previously that I'm trying to eat healthy to boost my immune system but today I needed CHOCOLATE.  Or maybe I need to start doing what so many people I talk to are doing and stop watching the news.  But I'm trying to keep my routine and part of that routine is to get up each morning and do my exercises with the morning news on television.   I go back and forth between watching the Today Show and CBS Morning News.  I like both of the broadcasters on the two networks but now it's all just getting a little too depressing.  Last Friday, I was doing my exercises and listening to the television since I can't always see the screen when I'm doing certain exercises.  Hoda Kobt was interviewing the quarterback of the New Orleans Saints who donated a bunch of money to New Orleans to help fight the coronavirus and then suddenly the television went silent.  I stopped exercising to look up to see why it was silent and right there on television I saw Hoda Kobt crying.  It was so sad, I couldn't believe it.  I've never seen that on television.  I really like Hoda Kobt and I've been watching the Today Show at least 10 years.  I just wanted to cry, too!  I had to keep rewinding it to see it.  It was Friday and I figured after a whole week of reporting on all this unbelievable stuff happening, it must have gotten to be too much for her.  Plus, she spend many years working in New Orleans and loves the town so it was probably a lot to take in. I immediately called my friend who also watches the Today Show every morning and she said she saw it and cried, too.  Wow.  That was just so emotional.  And then today, I was watching CBS Morning News and David Begnaud interviewed an ER doc in Chicago about being on the front lines of the coronavirus.  This interview just made me want to cry again.   These guys are not military, yet they are expected to put their life on the line because they don't have enough PPE.  If we were in a real war, you can be sure our military would not be running out of bullets or missiles.  Our government is not supporting our medical professionals by providing them the equipment they need.  I think this doctor they interviewed reminded me of my own son.  He had a one year old and a two year old at home.  Nick has a two year old and a four year old.  This doctor sort of talked like Nick and for whatever reason, the interview really affected me.  This sounds selfish but today I felt really grateful that neither Nick and Lauren are in the medical profession nor have to deal with covid patients.  Nick followed in his father's footsteps and became an engineer.  Lauren's profession is sort of medical;  mental health therapy but she doesn't work in a hospital, thank goodness. She does all her work with  Mindful Therapy Group at home and does all her counseling via telehealth.  So, neither one are near covid patients but they are like the rest of us trying to take all the precautions to avoid contamination.  Being in Japan, we feel Nick is safer there than here.  Last week, Nick was doing Sea Trials on the ship his group has been doing maintenance on the past few months.  He's near the end of that project now and is suppose to be moving back to the U.S. in June.  We are hoping that schedule doesn't change.


This is the same ship Nick was working on when we visited Japan a couple years ago and he gave us a tour of the ship.  That was really fun and impressive, to say the least.  Military stuff is such a different world.



In this era of coronavirus, you just want to be close to your family and know that they are all safe.  This ER doctor they interviewed today reminded me of Nick and that really changed my perspective.  We may not get to see Nick that often, but we're lucky that we get to see Lauren and we live close by.  We don't get to see her in person anymore but we see her via zoom.   We actually had a "zoom dinner" last night.  Zoom is the app used for video chatting and she uses it in her business for telehealth appointments.  So, she is really good at using it and it's fun to use.  She knows how to put neat backgrounds on her screen like the Golden Gate bridge outside the window of her apartment.  


We are able to stay connected this way and it feels good.  But today, I needed chocolate.  You can make this chocolate cake in a mug and get your chocolate fix in five minutes.  It's very quick to make.  I got this recipe from the  Pioneer Woman  (all my unhealthy recipes come from her.  LOL)  It's easy to make up a few mugs worth of dry ingredients and then add the liquid and microwave one when you need your chocolate fix.  In these times, that may be pretty often.  And that's no joke. 

Serves 2

3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
tiny pinch of salt
3 Tbsp. whole milk
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
splash of vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  Into a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. 


2.  Stir with a fork.



3.  Add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla .  Stir until smooth.


4.  Stir in the chocolate chips.   


5.  Use a damp paper towel to wipe excess off the sides of the mug. 


6.  Microwave for 90 seconds, then let the cake stand for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes before eating.


7.  Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


That, my friends, is your daily chocolate fix.  And don't all of us need a little something to help us get through this trying time?  I do and don't be afraid to admit that you do, too.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had