Skip to main content

Living in Limbo


I haven't been posting much because our house is in limbo, thus no cooking.   Here's our kitchen:


The kitchen work started Monday so we've been living mostly in our basement with a microwave, crockpot, rice cooker and our second refrigerator is down there which makes it handy right now.  We also have a bathroom with a large counter we are using for our kitchen sink.  So, it's not really that bad.  The kitchen work involves painting the cabinets, putting in a wall oven, putting in a new cooktop, a new quartz countertop and subway tile backsplash.  To be perfectly honest, I think the kitchen is the easiest part of this whole remodel.  The deck is done except for the railing.  The hardest part has been the electrical work.  We are changing out all the electrical in our house because it is old and we're replacing it with new.  But that entails knocking out all the walls to get to it. 



Hey, look!  An old window in the wall.


Our house was remodeled in 2005 so not all of the electrical wiring needs to be replaced, thank goodness.  However, while they were cutting out the holes for the electricians, they found asbestos and lead in the living room ceiling that needs to be removed -  a new task to add to our list.  Our house was built in 1938 so it's common to find this when remodeling. It was in the dinning room and living room so now those rooms look like isolation rooms. 


Men in space suits came on Friday to work in isolation and will return next week.  We are currently living in the basement and upstairs which is plenty of room for us.  And we've been going out to eat A LOT.  Not that I mind in the least!  We've been enjoying it, actually.  We don't really eat out that much even though there are a ton of great places in Seattle.  I had started a list of all the places I wanted to go try during our remodel and we've been doing a pretty good job hitting them all, so far.  And, of course, whenever an opportunity arises to eat out, like going to a Mariner game, or Lauren taking a day off work like she did yesterday, I immediately say "Let's go out to eat!"  


My problem now is that I need to stop ordering drinks and dessert, like this luscious carrot cake at a new restaurant we tried down at Alki this week. 


The other thing about remodeling is that it gets you in the mood to clean out everything. After packing up the kitchen, I had so much stuff to donate.  Similarly, with living in the basement and upstairs.  Bruce and I have been cleaning out so much stuff lately and it feels so good. It has been a MAJOR spring cleaning frenzy.  We've only lived here four years and I'm already getting rid of stuff that's accumulated.   I'm just eager to start posting "after" photos once the remodeling is done.  So, stayed tuned.  Hopefully, my next post will be "before" and "after" photos.  Or maybe another new restaurant review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had