Skip to main content

Father's Day '19


Nick sent us this photo yesterday and I guess you can tell that he has his hands full these day being a dad.  And our little grand babies love him being their Daddy (and the cat, too!) We also FaceTimed and once again we loved connecting with them despite our 5,000 mile distance.  Fortunately for us, we have Lauren close by so we celebrated Father's Day with her yesterday.  She invited us over to her apartment for dinner and we had a wonderful time. 

Father and Daughter


In case you don't notice, those are tipsy wine glasses we gave Lauren for Christmas one year.  I got them at Watson Kennedy, my most favorite gift shop in all Seattle.  He's not carrying them in the shop right now, but here is another site where you can get them here.  We had fun using them yesterday.  We went up to Lauren's roof top patio of her building which is a gorgeous spot.


The view is amazing and there are nice lounge chairs and couches, tables with chairs, a barbecue and lovely greenery planted everywhere.  It would be amazing for the Fourth of July, a perfect view of the fireworks. And a perfect spot to toast with our tipsy wine glasses on this Father's Day.


We relaxed and drank our wine up here and ate some appetizers that Lauren made, some veggie chips.


I meant to get her recipe because I really liked them and I'd like to make them myself for an appetizer someday.  I did make my family-favorite pasta coleslaw to contribute to the dinner which complimented Lauren's crab cake sliders for our main entree.   She also made a delicious fruit salad with fresh raspberries, blueberries and walnuts.  It was all so good!


After dinner, Lauren suggested we take a walk to Volunteer Park since it was such a lovely evening.


  I love walking in Lauren's neighborhood, as I wrote about when I was pet-sitting for Lauren.  My favorite part is looking at all the grand old houses in this part of Seattle called North Capitol Hill.



Lauren's apartment is about 4 blocks from Volunteer Park where there is an art museum, a old water tower, a huge conservatory, an amphitheater and one of the oldest parks in Seattle.


We headed right to the old water tower to watch the sunset.  I think the last time I climbed this old water tower I was probably a young, single Seattleite.  That's how many years it's been...


At least I can still do it!



The sunset was gorgeous and the moon was beautiful.  



Mt. Rainier was out, too.



It was a perfect evening for Father's Day. I hope you all had as wonderful of a Father's Day this year, too. My dad passed away in 1993 but he was a very special dad to all seven of us kids and a very special grandpa to Nick and Lauren. Back then, Father's Day involved barbecues in the backyard and listening to baseball on the radio with a cold beer in your hand. Often times, a game a croquet would be going on. His spirit is still with all of us in the family as we all still cherish those simple moments. No matter how you spend Father's Day, our love for each and every father, past and present, is what it's all about.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had