Skip to main content

Nicoise Salad



Tonight, we had one of our favorite salads for dinner and I realized I've never put it on the blog. So, here it is. It is a French salad that originated in the city of Nice and it has such a great combination of flavors; Bruce says he could eat it every week. Why I've never posted it here on my blog, I really don't know because we eat it often. I even made it for dinner one night during our trip to Japan last year in 2017. Nick and Sachiyo LOVED it. 
 

Of course, this was the Japanese version with lots of fish in it, including the Japanese favorite of shirasu which are those little white fish that the Japanese sprinkle on a lot of dishes. I don't remember what the big fish were, something common that they eat a lot but I do remember we also bought some tuna to crumble in it that was delicious. It was really dense fish with a big bone in it, like a pork chop only fish. The Japanese eat all the parts of fish so this must have been a part that we don't see much in our country.
 



It was like tuna fish out of a can only fresh, so good. The Japanese version of the Nicoise salad had three kinds of fish in it -they are big fish eaters over there. My version has two kinds of fish; tuna and anchovy. Anchovy was so popular in Cinque Terre in Italy, we just loved eating them when we were there in 2016. This salad sort of reminds me of that trip. 


They even ate them like french fries. 


If you don't like anchovy, you can omit them and just use tuna. You can use tuna out of a can, but the recipe calls for good quality like bonita tuna. You can find this kind in the grocery store by the canned fish. 


There are a lot of versions of this salad. The most common versions have tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, olives and tuna in it. The salad is often "composed" with the ingredients all arranged on a plate in separate little piles, then drizzled with the dressing. I like to toss mine all together so all the ingredients are evenly dispersed. Remember, I won the cooking contest on our last cruise for my salad because mine was the only one that wasn't composed. (Mine is the one on the top left) I was awarded a bottle champagne for my prize! 


I'm going to keep with my usual method and toss my Nicoise salad, too. There is a lot of preparation you can do ahead of time to make this salad, if you want. It's not a good salad to make on a hot day if you haven't made things ahead of time because you have to cook the potatoes and green beans. And there is lots of chopping so I'm not going to say this is exactly a fast and easy salad. But it is so good, it's worth the effort. I got this version from Serious Eats and I think it's an excellent version.


Makes 4 servings

Salad

3/4 pound small, waxy potatoes (about 2-4 potatoes), such as young Yukon golds
1/2 medium onion
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 medium cloves garlic
1/2 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 pound string beans, preferably French haricots vests, trimmed
4 large eggs
1/2 pound ripe tomatoes, preferably a small variety or cherry tomatoes, halved, quartered or cut into wedges (depending on size)
10 anchovy fillets, packed-in-oil, cut into 1-inch lengths
1 - 8.5 ounce can oil-packed bonito tuna, drained
3/4 cup pitted small black olives, such as Nicoise or Taggiasca, drained
2 Tbsp drained brined capers
20 torn fresh basil leaves
3 ounces (about 4 cups) lettuce greens, such as arugula, butter lettuce, etc.
freshly ground black pepper

Vinaigrette Dressing

1 small shallot, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
1 small clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 anchovy fillets, packed-in-oil, minced (about 1 tsp)
3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. water
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

To make dressing: Combine shallot, garlic, mustard, anchovies, vinegar, and water in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


To make salad: 

1. In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with at least 2 inches of water. Add onion, thyme, and garlic. Stir in 1/2 cup salt until dissolved. Set over medium-high heat and bring just to a simmer. 


2. Lower heat to just barely below a simmer and cook until potatoes are easily pierced by a fork, about 40 minutes.

3. Remove from heat and let stand in cooking water until cooled slightly. Drain potatoes. If using right away, allow to cool to room temperature, then crumble and set aside. If making 1 day ahead, store potatoes in the refrigerator, then revive by gently causing with the bottom of a saucepan and trying in a cast iron skillet, allow to cool to room temperature, then crumble and set aside.

4. For green beans, fill a large saucepan with water and season generously with salt. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Cook beans until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to ice bath to chill. 
 

5. Drain beans and pat dry. Beans can be refrigerated at this point. Cut beans into 1-1/2 inch lengths and set aside.

6. For hard boiled eggs, add 1 inch of water to a large pot and place steamer insert inside, cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add eggs to steamer basket, cover, and continue cooking 9 minutes. Immediately place eggs in a bowl of ice water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before peeling under cool running water. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cut egg into quarters lengthwise.

7. In a large bowl, combine lettuce greens, basil, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, anchovy fillets, tuna, olives, and capers.
 

8. Shake or whisk dressing, then drizzle a small amount over salad in bowl, tossing gently and adding more dressing as needed until everything is lightly coated. Season with salt and pepper.

9. Transfer salad to serving bowls and garnish with eggs.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had