Skip to main content

Morning Glory - Makes For a Glorious Beginning to Your Day


We returned to our favorite spot to eat this morning and once again, had the most wonderful experience.  Today, we ate at Morning Glory, the breakfast restaurant at The Farm at South Mountain.



We walked right in at 9:00 a.m. and immediately got seated but when we left at 10:15 a.m., there was an hour wait.  




You might think that an hour wait sounds terrible but not really.  For one thing, the food is worth it.  Secondly, the grounds are a beautiful spot to wait.  Thirdly, you help yourself to beverages while you wait.  Fourthly, there was lovely music to listen to.



The owners have things really figured out.  Service is super fast so they move a lot of people through this breakfast spot. 




It's all outdoor seating on picnic-style tables and benches.  The servers take your order and bring your food.  Later, they bring your check and you pay your server.  You help yourself to a variety of beverages, including ice and water, which definitely speeds things along.


Bruce had coffee and later made himself an Arnold Palmer with ice tea and lemonade.  I checked out the menu online ahead of time because I knew it would be hard to decide what to order.  I got their Back to Your Roots - An assortment of seasonal vegetables, roasted and sautéed, topped with two over easy eggs, served with a buttermilk biscuit and their Farm home fries. 


If you remember the sign I posted last time, you can see that they are growing most of these vegetables right now.


My dish had the carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, chard, onions, and a slice of grapefruit.  I also think it had some green peppers and summer squash (not listed as growing right now.)  I immediately dug into the veggies and mixed them with my eggs and it was amazing how quickly I got full on just these two items.  The veggies were cooked perfectly, firm but flavorful and I noticed they didn't have salt added to any of it except the potatoes, which I appreciate. I know a lot of people wouldn't like that but they had salt and pepper on the table for people who like salt.  Bruce ate half of my potatoes and half of my veggies since portions are ample.  I saved my biscuit for dessert and our server brought over some of their homemade strawberry jam.


I savored every bite.  The biscuit tasted like it was made with butter, not shortening, of course.  It pulled apart perfectly in the center to made two exactly proportioned biscuit halves.  It just melted in your mouth. I loved how their biscuits were a "normal" size and not one of those gigantic biscuits you get a lot of places. The homemade strawberry jam had big hunks of strawberries in it and tasted just like our home canned jams we use to make.   I left my meal feeling completely satisfied and not overly stuffed and bloated. Now Bruce, on the other hand, had the Farm Monte Cristo - a Brioche French toast sandwich with local ham, over easy eggs, melted gruyere cheese and syrup.  It looked amazing. 



He loved it and I'm sure it was probably the best Monte Cristo sandwich ever.  We'd love to return and try other things on the menu but we're running out of time here.  I liked the names of some of their dishes like "Pork is the New Black" Omelet made with their meat shop ham, breakfast sausage, and applewood smoked bacon with more veggies, cheese, and their sausage gravy.  They also had four scrumptious dishes from the South. We're starting to get our fill of Mexican food now after being here a week so we didn't feel like any of those but I'm sure those are good, too.  Besides the usual beverages we helped ourselves to, they also had some of their house special beverages like basil lemonade and grapefruit mint juice. 



And, of course, the whole place was dog-friendly.




We walked around the grounds after eating, admiring their perfect gardens. 




We know how much work goes into these gardens and can't stop admiring them, especially after eating a meal that had so much of these items in it.



We wandered over to their gift shop to browse around.




We were wishing our stomachs were bigger because we'd love to check out their lunch spot, too, but that will have to be for another trip.  


If you visit the Farm here in South Phoenix, you will definitely leave wanting to try out all their meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Plus, it's another excuse to come, once again, to visit these beautiful gardens and lovely grounds that provide the most exquisite meals you could ask for. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had