Skip to main content

Nashville Hot Chicken at Sisters and Brothers Kitchen


Do you want the best fried chicken you've ever had accompanied with the best sides, drink a nice cold beer while you watch airplanes land and to be able to sit outside on a sunny summer day?  Well, we did so we headed over to Sisters and Brothers yesterday, a bar at the north end of Boeing Field. 


 It also just happens to be close to where the Blue Angels are parked. 



The Blue Angels have been in town all week practicing for their air show today and tomorrow and we've had fun watching them practice from the view at our house 



and also at Lake Washington where we spent the day yesterday.




We joined some of my family at the lake to watch the Blue Angels and the unlimited hydroplanes time trials for the big race on Sunday.



It's free to watch the time trials but there is a $40 entrance fee on Saturday and Sunday so we choose the cheaper version.  

It's still pretty thrilling to watch them race around the course and witness all the hoopla surrounding these racing boats. 


The Miss Albert Lee Appliance was damaged last weekend at the Columbia Cup in Tri-Cities, Washington and barely made it back to qualify yesterday.  


We saw it drive by as it made it's way to the pits to race. 


There are lots of booths, food, drinks and displays to look at the hydro races.  We saw a little one that a child can drive to begin their career as a hydroplane driver. 


Here are some old-time models.


My nephew's daughter enjoyed the face painting. 


Sitting on the shore watching the activity all day left us contemplating what we felt like doing for dinner.   


We decided to drive pass Boeing field on our way home to take a peek at the parked Blue Angels and then I remembered Sisters and Brothers fried chicken.  Bruce had never been there so I knew he had to try it.  I went there with Nick last year before a Mariner game so I knew how good it was.  It's not really fried chicken, though.  It's more than that.  It's Nashville chicken.  I'd never heard of it until Sisters and Brothers opened last year.  They make it by brining the chicken first for two days in a mixture of hot sauce and buttermilk.  Then they rub a special spice-and-lard rub on it that consists of 25 spices (a major spice is cayenne), dip it in a batter and then deep-fry in lard in a cast-iron Dutch oven, then brush it with more spices and more lard. (There is a lot of lard involved.) 


It's the crispest chicken you've ever tasted and so moist inside.  With each bite, the crust crackles and juice drips from the meat inside. 


I admit that I always order the "naked" version, or the least spiciness.  There are four levels you can order: naked, mild, hot or insane.  Nick had ordered the mild and it was really, really hot!  I ended up scaring Bruce about how hot it was so we split a half "naked" chicken and our server brought out little container of sauce so Bruce could at least taste the hot sauce.


It's like a spicy-sweet sauce that is definitely on the spicy-hot side.  The owner, Jake Manny, moved here from Nashville where he had a bar but being from Seattle originally, we wanted to be closer to family (thus the name Sisters and Brothers.) He decided to open a bar here, too, and decided to serve Nashville chicken which he had acquired a taste for.  Turns out, his "bar" is now actually known for it's chicken and when he first opened, there were lines down the street with people waiting 2 hours to get a taste of his chicken.  He thought he'd go through maybe 3 chickens per night but turns out it was more like 150 chickens per night.  It took about 6 weeks for Sisters and Brothers to settle into itself.  Manny hired servers and brought in more cold storage for the chicken.  Seattle has now recast Manny's bar as a chicken restaurant.  His sides are equally as good as his chicken.  I love the coleslaw (we started eating it before I took a photo...)


and the smoked gouda mac and cheese.


The sides are not your typical salty, gooey sides.  The mac and cheese isn't salty at all but extremely creamy.  The sides are calibrated as part of the cooling and soothing experience when eating the chicken.  Even the bread-and-butter pickles are so fresh and clean tasting - homemade, of course.  And I like how the chicken is served on bread, another aid in cooling your mouth if need be. 



As if we hadn't gotten enough of airplanes, we enjoyed our Nashville chicken while watching planes land at Boeing Field right across the street.  



It was perfect way to end our day of hydroplane racing, Blue Angels and now some Nashville Hot Chicken.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had