Skip to main content

Blackberry Jalapeno Margaritas


Our blackberry season is coming to a close but we managed to scrounge around to find enough to make these drinks last night.  My favorite margaritas are jalapeño margaritas that I order at one of our frequented restaurants called Cactus.  At Cactus, they are called Baja Margaritas.  Well, I've found a recipe that tastes just like the Baja Margaritas only using blackberries.  And they are even better than the regular lime margaritas.


Lauren and Ari came over for dinner last night so I wanted an interesting before-dinner cocktail. I found this recipe from Heather Christo's blog who focuses on allergy free recipes. But her recipes are outstanding even if you don't have allergies. A perfect way to end our blackberry season.

For 4 drinks

3/4 cup tequila
1/2 cup triple sec, Grand Marnier, or Cointreau
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup blackberry jalapeño syrup (see below)
ice cubes
fresh blackberries and line wedges for garnish

For 1 drink

1-1/2 ounce tequila
1 ounce triple sec, Grand Marnier, or Cointreau
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1/4 cup blackberry jalapeño syrup (see below)


Blackberry Jalapeno Syrup (makes 1-1/2 cup)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1-1/2 to 2 jalapeno peppers, minced

1.  To make the syrup:   combine the sugar and water in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.

2.  Transfer the syrup to a blender and add the blackberries and the jalapeños.  Blend until smooth.

3.  To extract the seeds, pour through a fine mesh strainer into an airtight container.


Refrigerate up to 1 week.

1.  To make the margaritas:   Rim glasses with a lime wedge and then dip them into a dish filled with sugar, if desired.  Upright the glasses and fill them with ice.

2.  Fill a cocktail shaker with the tequila, triple sec, lime juice and Blackberry Jalapeño syrup, plus a handful of ice. 

3.  Shake vigorously and strain the margaritas into the prepared glasses.

4.  Garnish with fresh blackberries and lime wedges.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had