Skip to main content

An Evening at La Rustica



A spontaneous idea for my sister-in-law's birthday celebration turned into a wonderful evening at one our favorite restaurants, La Rustica. Jennifer woke up on her birthday to a big mess made by their elderly dog and she knew it was going to be bad day.  Not fun when it's your birthday.  There she was on her hands and knees scrubbing the carpet and crying "Happy birthday to me!"  I can relate after caring for numerous animals/pets when the kids were at home, especially in Idaho where we had a horse, goats, chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats and kittens.  Hardly a day went by when there wasn't some mess to clean up, animal chore to be done and something to repair.  I've spent many a day on my hands and knees scrubbing up messes.  Sometimes, you just think to yourself, "please, just one day of nothing happening..."  I remember that well. I don't have the energy to live like that anymore which is why we "downsized" to a house with a small yard and one cat. Easy.   But having to deal with it on your birthday, another animal disaster?  It's just not fun.   So, my brother, Bob, called me up while he was at work and asked if Bruce and I wanted to join them at a special dinner out at La Rustica to cheer up Jennifer.  How could I say no?  It's one of our favorite restaurants in our neighborhood.  Unfortunately, Bruce is out of town for work so he missed out.  We've been there about four times since we've moved here and now it's one of Nick and Lauren's favorite restaurants, too.  We were told about La Rustica by several different people when we first moved here so it does have a reputation of being a special place.  They have outdoor seating going on now so more room this time of year but on this evening it wasn't too crowded at all.  We were seated next to a window with the beach across the street. 




La Rustica is a family run Italian restaurant that is very authentic from the atmosphere to the food.  You feel like you are really in Italy.  We just love it.  They serve all-you-want soft bread sticks immediately when you sit down and their dinners come with salad.  





We all just inhaled the salad.  The dressing was so aromatic, full of garlic and so fresh, you just couldn't stop eating it.  We all ordered different entrees; Jennifer got their special slow roasted, fall-off-the-bone lamb shank with risotto and roasted vegetables. 




I got a prawn dish with pasta and roasted vegetables.  I love all the items on their menu and tonight I felt like something on the lighter side.  I know their risotto is very rich and filling but I felt like some pasta so a little spaghetti was perfect.  I love their roasted vegetables, too.  They are cooked perfectly and I could eat a whole plate of just those.  


I Iove their colorful china and white tablecloth settings, too.  It's very elegant and it really makes you feel like it's a special occasion.  It's been about year since we ate here.  We were here last in May of 2016 when Nick was visiting from Japan and then again in July 2016 for Lauren's birthday, her first choice of a restaurant to go out and eat.



You can see it is a family favorite, not only for our family but also for my brother's family.  Bob especially loves the desserts.  He and my nephew each ordered the chocolate molten flourless chocolate cake (with a little whipped cream)


and Jennifer and I split my favorite lemon tiramisu.


As we were digesting our dessert and just pondering what a wonderful meal we had just had, Jennifer opened her presents.  


My gift to her was a little cosmetic bag I'd been meaning to give her for a long time since she does my hair and runs her own hair salon.  After her day starting off so badly, I knew this was the day to give it to her. (And, yes, her hair always does look perfect.)  While Bob and Cameron stayed to pay the bill, Jennifer and I took off across the street to the little beach.    It was so gorgeous out there with the sun setting.


Jennifer and I took advantage of the evening light for some photo opts. 



 I learned that this little beach, which is just around the point from Alki Beach, is called Weather Watch Beach.  I like that name.  It was the perfect way to end our evening.  But wait.  They still had to drive me home and when we got there, we had to take photos of Mt. Rainier because the mountain was out.  The start of a birthday that began on a bad note actually ended in glorious fashion. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had