Skip to main content

Italy Revisited


It's been six months since we returned from our Italy trip and today I took a little "Italian field trip" with my sister-in-law, Jennifer.  Three days ago she returned from a fabulous business trip to Italy.  Jennifer is a hair dresser with her own business and she was traveling with four other colleagues touring hair product factories and learning more about hair products made in Italy.  She also did lots of shopping and eating.  Hearing about her adventures and stories brought back memories of our trip to Italy in September.  Today, we both got an "Italian fix" here at home.  



She loved the food and coffee in Italy (of course!) so our first stop was Bakery Nouveau for some coffee and pastries. Even though Bakery Nouveau is French and not Italian, it was our first stop because they have the best coffee around and their bakery items are rated #1 in Seattle.  




We shared each other's pastry choices with our coffee while we planned our next stops ahead.





Down the block from Bakery Nouveau is our neighborhood Italian deli called Pellegrini Italian Market.  Bruce and I have stopped in there for lunch during the summer and they are known for their quality Italian homemade breads and pastries




as well as their pre-made Italian dishes, fresh or frozen for take-out. We sampled some of their deli items like their house cured olives that were delicious



and their carrot salad which didn't look like much but the oil and vinegar dressing that they were marinated in was rich with garlic and very spicy tasting.  




It was seasoned with a lot of garlic and herbs and both Jennifer and I immediately bought some to take home. The seasonings and garlic were so strong that after I got home, Bruce and I actually ate it as an appetizer instead of a salad. I also bought some of their pesto and pasta salad to take home and it was perfect, very fresh pesto. This deli reminded me of Pasta & Co. except a lot smaller but their recipes were just as tasty. (But they don't have a cookbook like Pasta & Co) I learned that Mr. Pellegrini was the chef at La Rustica for the first ten years of it's twenty or so years that it's been one of the best Italian restaurants in the city. Nick and Lauren love La Rustica, too, and it's turned out to be one of our favorite places to go.   



I'm glad that the Pellegrini family have this deli so they can share all their family recipes with us. After our Italian deli experience, we headed to downtown Seattle to the infamous DeLaurenti Italian Market at the Pike Place Market. It's been there as long as I can remember. Apparently, it's officially been there since the end of World War II and is now run by the son of the founder, Pete DeLaurenti, who passed away in 1996. This place is almost overwhelming because it is so full of endless Italian products, including any kind of cheese or prosciutto you could ever want.


I was most impressed with their Italian chocolate Easter eggs on displayed along with some Italian cakes.  



I ended up buying two flavors of ravioli for dinner tonight, some smoked mozzarella cheese ravioli and some butternut squash ravioli.  





And they did not disappoint. 


All and all, we had a successful day getting our "Italian fix".  And the best part...neither one of us went home empty-handed.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had