Skip to main content

Pesto, Pesto Everywhere


Speaking of local food in Cinque Terre, one of the most prominent local foods in this region is pesto.  Cinque Terre is located in the Ligurian region of Italy which has the perfect climate for growing basil, thus it is the birthplace of pesto.  During our stay in Cinque Terre, we had a pesto making demonstration from the owner of our hotel named Felicita, who also ran the restaurant.  


We had a group dinner one night that included...of course...pesto lasagna.


Felicita explained that the best basil leaves come from Sardinia in the Mediterranean (second largest island in the Mediterranean after Sicily.)   She uses leaves that are medium in size. 




She also uses sheep cheese because it is not as strong.



She uses a morter and pestle to ground all the ingredients together because she says the blades of a food processor burns the leaves.  Marble is always cold so she uses a wooden pestle instead of marble to grind the ingredients.  


I'm not sure how she made enough pesto for a whole restaurant or even enough to feed us our meal that evening because it seems it would take a long time to make enough pesto this way.  But this is how she demonstrated it to us. Below is her pesto recipe: 


Makes 2 servings

80 basil leaves
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
parmesan cheese, grated  (she said she uses 1 Tablespoon per serving)

1.  Wash basil leaves and dry on a tea towel.

2.  Crush basil with morter and pestle

3.  Add 1 garlic, grind

4. Add pine nuts, gind

5.  Mix with 2 heaping Tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated

6.  Add olive oil until creamy consistency

Have a good meal! Felicita

Or you can use my recipe that makes a larger volume but then I "burn the basil leaves" with my food processor.  I'm sorry.

Here is her recipe for Pesto Lasagna

Makes 6 servings

100 grams of flour (7/8 cup)
100 grams of butter (7 Tbsp)
1 liter milk (4 cups)
a bit of salt
80 grams of powdered parmesan cheese (5/8 cup or 2.8 oz)  I think powdered is like finely grated parmesan cheese
lasagna noodles

1.  In one pan, heat butter, flour, salt and stir together for 5 minutes.

2.  Then add milk on medium heat, add powdered parmesan cheese and mix parmesan and sauce

3.  Place in one pan a first layer of besciamella sauce (above sauce), then a layer of lasagne and alternate with lasagna and besciamella sauce for five layers.  

4.  Cover the last layer with besciamella.

5.  Bake in oven at 160 degrees for 40 minutes

6.  When you take the pan out of the oven, you can put pesto sauce on top or can use bolognese sauce.

Have a good meal! Felicita

For our meal, we had this pesto lasagna for the first course and Felicita's husband came around to offer seconds and thirds if we wanted.



Second course was a local fish and some greens. (with seconds or thirds, if we desired)



and dessert was like a strawberry cheesecake.


But we still weren't done.  The husband then brought around an after-dinner liquor called sciacchettra.  We've never had such service at any meal yet!  The courses (and seconds) just kept coming.


This evening called for a toast to such wonderful hosts.  They showed us how to make pesto, along with samples, served us multiple portions of pesto lasagna, multiple portions of a delicious local fish with greens, dessert and an after-dinner drink.  Cheers to the wonderful locals of Cinque Terre!  This was one of our most enjoyable evenings yet.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friend lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, t...

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides ...

Top Pot Doughnuts

I just returned from another weekend in Seattle and for the first time, I actually went to a Top Pot Doughnut shop.  I've had their doughnuts before because they serve them at Starbuck's and I've seen their shops in Seattle when I visit because there is now one right across the street from our old house in Wedgwood.   Now, our daughter, lives in another old neighborhood of mine on Capitol Hill and right around the corner from her house is a Top Pot. There were not eateries like this in my old neighborhoods when I lived in Seattle.  And our daughter literally lives steps away from my old house on Capitol Hill where I lived when I was her age.  There are so many more luxuries and temptations lurking around the corner in Seattle neighborhoods more so than when I lived there but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Being that I'm one that mostly gives in to temptation, it's probably a good thing they didn't exist when I lived there. ...