Skip to main content

Welcome 2016


Last night, we watched the fireworks from the comforts of our home. Why not? We had a clear view of the Space Needle where the firework show lasted 8 minutes and it was beautifully done with crystal clear weather.  It was Nick's last night with us before he headed back to Japan this morning so it was our final time with him for awhile.



A friend of his from college stopped by, along with his parents, whom we are also friends, so I made won tons and my Holiday Moscow Mules.   It's always fun to see his friends who stop by to visit him when he's here.  He went to a Seahawks game last Sunday and then we all, including my brother's family, went out to a local neighborhood restaurant for their Sunday night fried chicken dinner special.  The restaurant is called Endolyne Joe's, named after an end-of-the line trolley stop from years ago, and it's one of our favorites in the neighborhood. 




Bruce and I have been there twice for their fried chicken and it's definitely quality fried chicken.


 I especially love their biscuits.  This was on Nick's "to do" list for this visit.


For being here 10 days, we did a lot of things on Nick's "to do" list like go to the Starbuck's Reserve Roastery and Tasting Room.  It's a one-of-a-kind Starbuck's experience that is like a roasting plant, a tasting bar, an art studio, library, and much, much more.  


One of Nick's friends joined us and we all ordered a coffee drink that comes with a little cookie handed to you on a cute wooden tray. I just love this place.




We also stopped at the Amazon bookstore, the first brick and mortar store for Amazon.  It is located in our old neighborhood shopping area, University Village, so it's always fun for us to stop by and see how things have changed - and they've changed a lot.




We also went to Bellevue Square one evening to see Bellevue's festive Celebration Lane.



Before Christmas it is called Snowflake Lane and we like it because they have fake snow falling from the buildings, live drummers, entertainers and music. It will get you in the holiday mood in no time.



Nick also wanted to go to a store in Bellevue Square called Uniqlo that is a Japanese clothing store that recently opened in Seattle.  He loves the store but they don't carry his size in Japan so now he had a chance to shop there.  He bought a lovely cashmere sweater and some nice pants. We did lots of shopping while Nick was here.  A very productive visit!  



But mostly it was just fun to be together again, spend time getting caught up and experiencing life in our new city and neighborhood.


Christmas is such a perfect time to be together because of all the beauty surrounding us this time of year, natural beauty and Christmas beauty.  This holiday season has been one of my best ones.


I feel very optimistic about 2016 now.  It might be hard to top 2015 with us moving back to Seattle but now that we are here, I won't have any trouble enjoying every minute of it.  I welcome 2016 with open arms.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meatloaf by Mark Bittman

Once again, I turned on the television yesterday and saw that Mark Bittman was on the Today show and was making his version of  meatloaf .  This must be meatloaf season.  It was surprisingly similar to the  Pioneer Woman's version  who was also recently on.   I was a little surprised of his version because Mark Bittman is into healthy eating and has lost a lot of weight and improved his health by changing his diet which he writes about in his book,  Food Matters .  His meatloaf recipe also included bacon and cheese!  I must be doing something wrong.  The thing to remember, which he writes about in his book, is that you can eat healthy without going extreme or changing your whole life.    If you don't know who Mark Bittman is, he is a food writer and a four star chef with multiple cookbooks who loves to eat but changed his food philosophy to improve his health.  He tells his story in Food Matters and provides a plan for responsible eating that covers a no-nonsense rundown on

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't have very many gluten-free cookies on my blog because quite frankly, I usually don't like gluten-free.  But occasionally, I do find a good recipe and this is one that is from the back of the Trader Joe's oatmeal and it's a good one.  My friend brought some over to our house last weekend when Nick and family were here for our birthday celebrations  and we all loved them. My friends lives a few blocks away and we walk the neighborhood together on weekends.  We can easily go 5 miles in no time, talking non-stop.  She loves exploring our neighborhood as much as I do and we discover so many favorite little spots.  We even found a property with a horse (or more like a pony, I should say.)   The views are always quite lovely, too.  Bruce and I had our thirty-ninth wedding anniversary on July 18th and I made a point of walking past the house where we had our wedding reception.  I told my friend, "Thirty-nine years ago today, there was a big party g

Spinach Stuffed Cod

Last night, I was in the mood for a healthy dinner so decided to experiment with a recipe I found from a blog called Creative in My Kitchen . Lauren and Ari brought us French cookies back from their trip to Paris and I basically inhaled them. They were so good! We were cat-sitting their two cats while they were gone. They liked lounging in the strangest places...  I found one of their toys while I was cleaning so Lauren stopped by last night to pick it up on her way home from work. I was experimenting with this recipe which originally called for chicken breast but I thought it sounded good to substitute fish instead since I'm always looking for good fish recipes. We all thought it was totally delicious. When I went to the grocery store, they had Icelandic cod on sale so I bought about 2 pounds of that. You could use any white fish for this recipe such as:                                                                   true cod or other cod rockfish halibut had